How to connect a wireless laptop?

Hi everyone,

I have a slight problem at home - I have a home network existing of five computers, some laptops and some external drives, all hooked up to a US Robotics router and another US Robotics switch.

Now I would like to connect another laptop, but this one needs to be connected wireless.

I already figured out that I'll need some kind of wireless PCMCIA card for the laptop, but what do I need on the other end? I could always go for a broadband wireless router (with 4 ports for the others and the switch), which would mean that I need to replace my existing router.

However, I would like to keep my existing router, since I have no intention whatsoever to connect the other machines in a wireless fashion.

Is there a device available which I can plug into the switch, so it becomes an access point to the new laptop? If so, could you please direct me to a manufacturer website or something similar?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ikke

Reply to
Ikke
Loading thread data ...

A wireless access point, plugged into the router.

Not necessarily - you can connect the two routers together with via their LAN ports, turn off DHCP in the new one, and you have effectively added a 4-port switch and wireless access point.

Cost-wise the two options are much of a such.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You need a wireless router. Unplug one computer from your existing router and connect it to the wireless router on a LAN socket, then connect the wireless router to the wired router via LAN to LAN socket. You may have a built in wireless in the laptop( Check your manual). If not, then you will need a wireless connection for the laptop ( PCMCIA card or USB device ).

Reply to
Teddybare

Mark McIntyre wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for your reply - I have had a look around on the internet and I have now found what I need, thanks to your indications.

By the way, I'm not a native English speaker - what does "much of a such" mean? Does it mean that both options cost the same?

Thanks again,

Ikke

Reply to
Ikke

"Teddybare" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I already found what I was looking for after I've read Mark's answer, but thanks anyway for your reply.

The laptop is a bit old, a P3-500 to be precise, so it does not have wireless built in. But it suits its purpose well, so I'll keep it. Most machines nowadays are way overpowerd IMHO.

Ikke

Reply to
Ikke

Yes, it means that there is little difference between the two choices. Its not restricted to cost. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.