Wireless antenna's to provide wireless access to neighbours

Hello all, i am planning on getting internet access at my house and supplying wireless access to my neighbours. I know that a standard wireless router/access point will not give the coverage/distance that i am looking for since there is approx. 100ft between each house in my neighbourhood. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good attenna that will extend the coverage? I know there are a lot of these out there but want a good one with teh greatest range.

Reply to
jason
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure you want to become an ISP? You are the one who will be getting the calls at midnight when aol doesn't work and you will also be getting the $10,000 demand letter when one of their kids uses a P2P sharing app.

Reply to
George
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

There's no simple answer -- it all depends on your specific geography. Range comes at the expense of coverage, so pointing a directional antenna at neighbor A for more signal might well result in less signal for neighbor B. It might even be necessary to construct a "mesh" network.

Reply to
John Navas

It's a bit of a risk as you are responsible for everything they do as it will be your IP number.

Reply to
Mal

Not necessarily -- you could enter into a contract with your neighbor as an Internet service provider. Whether that's worth it or not is a personal decision.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.