Wireless access from an appliance to AP(s) ????

I am trying to find an appliance that will function like a wireless client would. Be able to associate to any brand AP at 802.11b/g but using an appliance (bridge, AP, etc...). I thought I could do this with Cisco AP in workgroup-bridge mode; however, in that mode, Cisco APs will only associate with other Cisco bridge and APs. Has anyone tried this or made it work? TIA.

Reply to
Tank
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

"HOWTO: Use Linksys WRT54G as a wireless ethernet bridge"

or NOTE: This doesn't work with all models of the WRT54G.

Pure client bridges:

• D-Link DWL-2100AP
  • Linksys WET54G
  • Netgear WGPS606
Reply to
John Navas

Some else made mention of making sure that the device could operate in pure client mode. These that you listed; have you personally tried any of these with other manufacterer's AP(s) in client mode?

Reply to
Tank

What about a product that I could get better distance out of, say like maybe up to a mile or better. I have a 5 dbi omni antenna and cable from Cisco I'd like to be able to utilize.

Reply to
Tank

That's what I said too. ;)

I've used different (more expensive) devices, not these particular ones, but they all list client mode capability.

Reply to
John Navas

For that kind of distance, depending on terrain and obstructions, you're probably going to need a high-gain directional antenna. You can even make your own for relatively little money.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.