Win98SE and WPA-PSK incompatibility

It's not the driver, it's the supplicant.

How much do you pay for your OS updates?

Lots of cards support WPA when used with Buffalo's Client Manager 2 under Windows 2K, and Win98SE - according to the readme. D-Link DWL-650+ and Belkin F5D7010 cards do (under W2K) for a start.

If it doesn't fit, it's because the voltage (5/3.3) doesn't match.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt
Loading thread data ...

The supplicant comes with the driver.

Pay? Well, if I'm desperate $100 of XP Home Upgrade at Staples. eBay is full of counterfeits so I avoid those.

formatting link
formatting link

I've never tried it but as you previously mentioned, only the older versions work with non-Buffalo hardware.

Wrong. It literally doesn't fit in the slots on the edge of the card. A 16 bit card will fit in a 32 bit slot, but not the other way around. Try it and see for thyself.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 01:55:14 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

If there was a WPA supplicant, it would be included in what the vendor calls the "device driver". Clever technical terms only serve to confuse non-technical types.

Better 512 MB (or as close to that as practical).

Presumably the same as everybody else. Your point?

True, but Jeff is essentially correct in that all Cardbus cards are 3.3 volt, and if the slot supports 3.3 volts, then it almost certainly supports Cardbus. I don't know of a 3.3 volt slot that isn't Cardbus -- do you? (Both 3.3 volt and Cardbus were introduced in PC Card Standard Release 5.0)

Reply to
John Navas

Makes no difference. It's still the supplicant. Funk Software's Odyssey client and WZC do not.

Older WiFi (802.11b) and PCMCIA to ethernet (cable) cards come as low as $5.

The information on Buffalo's site:

formatting link

-says:

Unlike Client Manager 2, Client Manager 3 now works with most* wireless client adapters from any manufacturer. [...]

[* most/any: Buffalo Technology does not guarantee compatibility with all cards, but based on our testing it works with majority of devices available on the market today. Please check back for a database of tested cards; we will update the list frequently.]

I think this refers to when the client is used with a Buffalo access point or wireless router and a third party wireless card. My experience is, that it (v3) doesn't work when neither the access point nor the card is from Buffalo.

BTW. I have not been able to find any database of tested cards at Buffalo's site.

Client manager 3 is a MeetingHouse product.

Client manager 2 works with (some) cards/access point not from Buffalo. And version 3 doesn't work under Win98, version 2 does.

Client manager 2 is no longer on Buffalo's site - I can't find it there

- so you have to look for it at a driver site.

That's because of the voltage, not the bus width.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) hath wroth:

Once upon a time, driver meant an NDIS or ODI library. These days, it includes a client manager, configuration utility, monitoring software, connection manager, install package, and supplicant. When looking for such things on the vendors web pile, I look for a driver.

What do you mean by "...Odyssey client and WZC do not." Are you suggesting that they are not supplicants?

Incidentally, I think the term supplicant is stupid. In other drivers (i.e. VPN), it's called a "shim", which is both more appropriate and easier to spell.

True. I was talking about finding an 802.11g card with a 16 bit interface. There were a few, but I can't find any at this time.

That's interesting. They are getting Borged by Cisco.

formatting link

Just try it and see for thyself. A 32 bit card will not fit in a 16 bit slot. It's more than just the power supply voltage. There are substantial differences in connector pinout function.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:44:16 +0100, Jeff Liebermann wrote (in article ):

Having checked the notebook manual, the slot will take either card. I've found one here that looks the right sort of thing:

or

Am very grateful for all the good advice here.

Reply to
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:12:28 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

Which would be a violation of copyright unless explicitly authorized by Buffalo (or the actual copyright holder), which it probably isn't.

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:12:28 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

Now Juniper Networks Odyssey Access Client.

Overview

Funk Software's Odyssey® products have been renamed to Juniper Networks Odyssey Access Client (OAC) and Odyssey Access Server (OAS).

Reply to
John Navas

They both come separately from the driver for the card.

It's the voltage. The cards are keyed at the front edges, so a 3.3 Volt only card doesn't fit into a 5 Volt slot. Taker a look at the heights of the right key (looking at the card from the direction of the connector) and note the difference between a 3.3 Volt only card and a 3.3/5 Volt or

5 Volt card. The 3.3 Volt only cards have the heigher key. Both the 3.3/5 Volt and the 5 Volt cards have the lower key. Otherwise they are the same.
Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Not necessarily. Find it on a site in Israel.

formatting link
And where do people who have paid for it go when they need a new copy?

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 06:44:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

The term "supplicant" comes from IEEE 802.1X, but is nonetheless stupid in this context since generic usage is so easily confused with a specific software package:

Actual physical keying is by voltage, not by bus, but you are essentially correct in that all Cardbus cards are 3.3 volt, and if the slot supports 3.3 volts, then it almost certainly supports Cardbus. (I don't know of a 3.3 volt slot that isn't Cardbus. Both 3.3 volt and Cardbus were introduced in PC Card Standard Release 5.0)

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:32:02 +0100, Sally Thompson wrote in :

Check around, even for used gear, and you may be able to find one cheaper. I recently found a new one on sale for only US$5.00.

You're welcome.

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:53:45 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

Necessarily if you're in the USA.

Doesn't apply in this case.

The same place they go when they lose a $10 bill.

Reply to
John Navas

Someone very helpfull, who has found my posting from back in August sent an e-mail today with a direct link for download of Buffalo's ClientManager2, v2.1.

The helpfull person states, that CM2 (v2.1) enables WPA encryption with his own D-Link DWL-650+ (PC Card) under Windows 98 instead of the D-Link client, which does not support WPA.

CM2 (v2.1) probably works for many other older cards without client support for WPA encryption as well.

The link seems to work. Get CM2 v2.1 from Buffalo's site here:

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.