Any Cisco AP that support WPA/PSK/TKIP with 350 series adapters and XP?

I have some tablets with the 350 series Cisco wifi adapters (PCMCIA and mini-PCI and after a whole day have had to give up. They work fine on 64/128bit WEP but no way on WPA/PSK with TKIP.

The AP is a Draytek 2900 router, but I have also tried it with the Linksys 54G wifi router (latest firmware).

The Cisco Aironet Client Utility (latest one) has various WPA options in it (all with authentication options which I don't understand and which my routers don't offer anyway) but none of them are directly WPA/PSK with TKIP and asking for the entry of the *single* passphrase. Funnily enough most of today's "cheap" routers offer this.

So I used WinXP wifi config instead which does have support for it, but while it finds the AP it refuses to connect.

The Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA wifi adapter works fine, WEP or WPA, using the config in XP.

Incidentally, the 350 series client doesn't seem to work if I stop SSID broadcast.

So I am looking at buying a Cisco AP.

Peter.

-- Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail. E-mail replies to snipped-for-privacy@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

Reply to
Peter
Loading thread data ...

All Cisco Aironet APs running IOS will work with WPA-PSK The 350 series radios need fw greater 5.30.17.

Take a look at Funk Software's Odyssee Client. Or consider using WPA with LEAP or EAP-FAST with the embedded RADIUS server if you only have few clients.

Reply to
Uli Link

Uli Link wrote

Doesn't the latest ACU automatically upgrade the firmware? I have

What I need to know is how to configure this stuff. The Cisco ACU offers WPA with

LEAP EAP-FAST Host Based EAP

while my Draytek router offers

WEP WEP/802.1x only WEP or WPA/PSK WEP 802.1x or WPA 802.1x WPA/PSK only WPA/802.1x only

and can't make sense of how these relate to each other.

A potential problem is that I also have some laptops whose wifi adaptors don't support WPA except via the XP config, and that one doesn't seem to offer most of what the Draytek offers. I would need to find a common denominator, or get more than one wifi AP connected up.

Peter.

-- Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail. E-mail replies to snipped-for-privacy@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y. Please do NOT copy usenet posts to email - it is NOT necessary.

Reply to
Peter

The problem is that ACU doesn't support WPA-PSK even with the lastest versi=F3n, I had the same problem. The utility for the new a/b/g cards, Aironet Desktop Utility (ADU), handle it, but it doesn't work with the

350 series card. ACU support WPA/802.1x, but if you can't deploy 802.1x I think that the better option is to use WPA-PSK configuring the client adapter through Windows XP instead of through ACU.
Reply to
Sergio

OK, thank you, that confirms my understanding. Except that I can't get WPA/PSK working through XP either :)

One day I will try the 802.1x thingy.

Peter.

-- Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail. E-mail replies to snipped-for-privacy@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

Reply to
Peter

Uli Link wrote

I am picking up an older thread started by myself:

I have looked at Funk Software Oddyssey Client but it seems to support only the same varieties of WPA that the Cisco 350 ACU does. Initially their support told me that it will support WPA/PSK but when I pressed them, quoting their website spec which doesn't mention it, they didn't reply anymore...

Here's a summary:

The Cisco ACU offers WPA with

LEAP EAP-FAST Host Based EAP

while my Draytek router offers

WEP WEP/802.1x only WEP or WPA/PSK WEP 802.1x or WPA 802.1x WPA/PSK only WPA/802.1x only

and can't make sense of how these relate to each other.

An alternative: I am sorry to ask a stupid question but let's say I buy a Cisco AP like this one

formatting link
will this offer me similar "unbreakable" security to WPA/PSK without me having to do complicated configuration? I like WPA/PSK because there is just ONE passphrase to enter and provided that is strong then it should be secure enough. I don't understand the more complex protocols that seem to support secure key distribution - there is so much to read!

Peter.

-- Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail. E-mail replies to snipped-for-privacy@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y. Please do NOT copy usenet posts to email - it is NOT necessary.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.