Win98 machine "out of memory" error

I have a Win98 Laptop and a WinXP desktop accessing the internet wirelessly through a Lynsys BEF11S4.

My desktop can send files to the remote machine. No problems.

The laptop can see the desktop drive in the netwrok neighborhood but when I try to open a folder I get "quit some programs - not enough memory"

The laptop is running nothing other the windows explorer and has 192 Megs RAM.

I'd like the laptop to be able to send files to the desktop.

What [simple] thing am I missing here?

Thank you.

Reply to
John Keiser
Loading thread data ...

I am able to "ping" either computer.

I have the WinXP shares set for full access. I can see the folders but access results in "out of memort" message.

Reply to
John Keiser

the win98 error messages are not always correct, it culd very well be that you have no writing rights at the specific location on the xp machine.

Reply to
Martin!

You are also running the NIC's program and maybe anti-virus program too right? What are the free system resources? Start...Programs....Accessories....System Tools....System Information (If your computer is set up to view it). How much free space is on the laptop's hard drive? How is your laptop's Win98 handling the virtual memory? I have used an old 486 laptop with Win95 and wired NIC, and no problems with moving files around my other computers (XP, XP, Win98SE). I currently use a P-II 300Mhz laptop, D-Link wireless, with WinME and it has no problems. later, dave

Reply to
One out of many daves
98+ megs are free RAM; 4 gigs free HDD. I don't think it is really an "out of memory problem" but that is the error message I get when I try to access a remote folder.

I've turned off the anti-virus and the firewall.

Other suggestions welcomed.

Thank you.

Reply to
John Keiser

Imperfect thinking on my end. I assumed the "out of memory" error referrred to the Windows98 laptop where te message appeared. It actually referred to the Windows XP machine I was trying to access.

Solution was to increase IRPStackSize in the Windows XP registry.

Problem solved.

Thank you.

Reply to
John Keiser

I have a similar problem with a desktop as soon as you activate the wireless card the dial up grinds to a slow crawl.. I wonder where the Stack is in ME so I can increase it? (simplified question)

Des

Reply to
Des

Here's a link to the solution to my problem. It explicitly does not apply to Windows ME but you may find the answer poking arounf. Good luck.

formatting link

Reply to
John Keiser

Just curious, does the "just installed Norton antivirus" apply to your situation?

Reply to
Rôgêr

Duane, jeez... he's solved the problem. Are you getting exhausted from all your troll ragging?

Reply to
Rôgêr

Duane, you're taking this way too serious. I was trying to give you a very simple, innocent ragging. And threats to me? Oh my golly, please don't throw me in the briar patch. Why is it there seems to be about 100 tough guys on the net for every 10 posters?

Reply to
Rôgêr

Some wireless connection utility software (e.g. Orinoco USB on Win98se) continually eats up memory, you don't need to have it running once you sorted out the best possible connection. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

"John Keiser" wrote in news:oCtbe.1279$iZ1.233@trnddc03:

If you have WEP enabled on the wireless, what happens when WEP is disabled on the 11S4 and you try to access the XP machine?

Does the machine only have this problem when its wireless?

What happens if the machine is connected with a wire connection and you try to access resources on the XP machine?

You need to dump the error prone Windows 9'x O/S using wireless.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

No. Never installed Norton. The stack happened to be 11 and I needed to bumpt it to 15.

Reply to
John Keiser

Rôgêr wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pghconnect.com:

What do you want? Yes I am an Equal Opportunity Ragger. And what that means is if you come at me like you're doing, I talk about you like a dog. I'll dog you, your family, cat, dog, house, car, home and anything else and have a little fun with the *rag*.

So here you go. You can kiss my ass with your tongue hanging out. ;-) Who the f*ck do you think you are?

I don't go out of my way to harass anyone. But if you come at me, I'll return absolute and no doubt about it gun fire.

You need to think about the path you're about to come down, because I will lock in and dog you out.

And do I read all the f****ng posts in a thread no I do not read them all. But I know your dumb ass will do just that.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Rôgêr wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pghconnect.com:

Roger, you have been on my face and deep into my business the last two to three days now. I told you what I will do in that other NG to keep your ass *happy, but keep in mind there are no guarantees either. Point blank about it, I don't give a rat's ass as to what you're posting and I am not following you around in these NG(s). I am not up in your face in this NG or any other NG. You're becoming a PITA.

And I have not threatened your family. But I do like to administer a good

*Ragging* when appropriate and you're fast approaching it. ;-) And I will dog you out across NG(s). Do you think I won't do it? ;-)

I don't have anything against you. But I am not taking any shit from you either.

The very thing you're trying to stop with me and K-Clown you are now going to have me focus in on you. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The poor design of all versions of Windows....

However, with 192Mb, you're not near any of the usual "problem boundaries."

Reply to
D. Stussy

Win 98 has "system resources" pegged at a certain amount and if you have lots of programs running in the background you will overwhelm it and you will get that message. The ONLY way to get rid of it completely is to upgrade to Windows 2000! The easy way to avoid it is to remove everything that makes life easier in 98, all those icons down by the clock, they ALL take up system resources even if you are not using them! THEY are using resources just so you can quickly switch from app to app. Disable all the Office, Word Perfect, etc. icons. Think streamlined!!!! Your computer will load programs a bit slower but will run better once they are open. The other thing that can hurt resources is too many programs open at once, if you have your email program, your word processing program and your internet connection all open at the same time you will defiantely put a hurting on the 'resources"! "Resources" has NOTHING to do with ram or hard drive space, it is TOTALY seperate and they should not be confused even if the error message IS confusing!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Its a spurious error message. It simply means that networking isn't working for some inexplicable reason, perhaps a password is needed, perhaps the network is unavailable, whatever. Win98 aint' letting on.

Well, certainly of Win98. The above error is a placeholder for "something happened that the error system designers didn't cater for".

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.