WiFi problem

Hi all, I have been borrowing* wifi from a 7 story condo for about 4 yrs. I can see about 40 signals, but only about 6 or 7 that are strong and unencrypted. In the last couple of months I'm have difficulty getting my wifi adapter to lock on to a signal. The signal strength is strong, over

80% and link quality is high, 70 to 90%. I'm using an Alfa, the soft is Realtek RTL8187 wireless LAN utility. When I'm having trouble it lists the mac address, but the IP and subnet mask address are slow or no, when they do load the fall away before the gateway address appears. If I get the gateway address it works fine. Any thoughts? Mike *I'll return it when they need it.
Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...

What is it that you think those two sentences actually mean?

I think you mean to say "I have been stealing bandwidth from broadband customers with insecure wireless configurations for 4 years."

Then I think you are asking, "Could y'all please aid and abet my bandwidth theft; I'm having a little trouble sometimes."

Reply to
Mike Easter

Here's one. Looks like Mother Nature is stepping in where your conscience isn't. My guess is that intervening foliage-perhaps maturing trees or vines and the like-have proliferated and leafed out between you and the remote station.

And I'll weigh in on the side of the other responder so far: Serves you right.

"Yes, Your Honor, I borrowed* that car at the curb with the keys in the ignition, because I had such a long way home and it was more convenient than paying the fare to ride the bus. *Besides, I was going to fill the gas tank back up and return it when they needed it."

Seriously, aren't there any public libraries around where you live? Practically all of them in the Western world now offer free Wi-Fi, and most don't even require you to have a library card to use it. Okay, you

*might* have to jump an overzealous filter now and then, but I think that's more justifiable than petty larceny, don't you?
Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

"Borrow" a better antenna. And don't forget to return it when you're done.

Reply to
Nemesis

Also borrow a stumbler program to see what channels the various signals are on. Two strong signals on the same or nearby channels will interfere with each other.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I noted some people have no sense of humor. I have 15db gain antenna straight shot 150, 200 yards. I have strong signal just lately poor connecting. Might be sold cheap though, he oil is here, Don't know if we will have business next year. we sell seafood. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Ya, don't know enough about it, but I installed netstumbler one time as a curiosity, I was amazed I had over forty signal from the condo. I have 5 to 7 usable signals with my usb adapter. This is on my boat were I have a business, so I can surf when I don't have customers. This has lost a little interest now, the oil and my business is hot on my mind. We sell seafood and don't know what the next few months will be like. I'm looking forward to an exciting time. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.