WiFi AP - limited connectivity message

My daughter is (will be) in the hospital for several days and the hospital haas an AP with SSID = visitor. When I tried to connect to it, it took a while to get an IP, which it finally got (connection is very strong, but the start menu bar shows a wifi connection with a yellow triangle/exclamation mark). I cannot get to web with IE or FF. Evidently, I am not getting their DNS server. How can I get through this problem? Thanks.

Reply to
cmdrdata
Loading thread data ...

BTW, the AP is open/un-secure, does not ask for WEP/WAP.

Reply to
cmdrdata

I am getting IP = 194.254.74.8 and if past posts on this problem still hold, this could a bogus IP when the network failed to supply me a good IP via DHCP.

Reply to
cmdrdata

I am getting IP = 194.254.74.8 and if past posts on this problem still hold, this could a bogus IP when the network failed to supply me a good IP via DHCP.

Reply to
cmdrdata

Reply to
cmdrdata

Reply to
cmdrdata

Reply to
cmdrdata

Reply to
cmdrdata

Reply to
cmdrdata

Reply to
cmdrdata

Reply to
cmdrdata

OK, 9 repeats of the same message is more than enough...

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Got to ask the obvious, have you asked if this *should* work?

It could be possible that they haven't finished the deployment or that there is an upstream problem. Just because you've got an association and an IP address doesn't mean there's necessarily a connection to anything else!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Ask nursing staff to give you the telephone number of the IT staff. They will answer all your questions. ...if they can be found. Normally, one goes to the floor with their offices and follow the trail of Cheetos crumbs to the locked closet where they play Everquest while eating Cheetos and drinking Mountain Dew. You might get lucky.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

No, that would be 169.254.y.z.

Again, have you made enquiries as to whether this is a true visitor network that you should be able to connect through?

It could be a rogue hotspot for all you know otherwise.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

You didn't actually get an IP -- that's what the yellow triangle/exclamation mark means.

Reply to
John Navas

Derek, sorrry for the multiple post. I swear it wasn't me. When I refresh after that post, I noticed that too and deleted all but one. I don't know what happen to that posting. Sorry (nine times!).

Reply to
juliuslr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.