Can't use WEP

I have Toshiba TE2000 laptop XP pro SP2, Router is Efficient Networks Speedstream 6300. Connected to Sympatico (Bell). I could not get on the internet using 128 bit WEP. At a local public spot no problem. After 2 hours on tech support tried turning off WEP. Works fine, but I am not protected. any ideas? Vic

Reply to
Bones
Loading thread data ...

How are you entering the key into the laptop? Typing the password or typing/pasting the hex code generated by the router when you give it the password? If using the human friendly pasword, try the hex, more often then not that will fix an issue like this.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

I have used the hex key typed in. The tech had me try a new 64 bit key but no luck, only when I took it out altogether didi it work. Vic

Reply to
Bones

Try Shared Network on the router and Shared Authentication on the NIC/laptop settings and see if that gets it.

Reply to
Rico

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop and it used to be a dog to get it work with any security settings. There were times when I absolutely knew that I had set the SSID and password exactly as they were on the WAP, but it would not work.

I would reboot the laptop, reboot the router and WAP, the suddenly it would start working. Though I could never put my finger exactly on what did it, it finally took off. If the security options were turned off, it would always make a strong and fast connection.

After a few upgrades from Dell and a few patches in XP, it no longer has those problems. What fixed it, I don't know, but it does work now. After this issue was resolved, in every case were the laptop would not connect to a secured network, it turned out that problem was an error entering the somewhat long and cryptic passwords or SSID's that Linksys automatically generates.

The Dell connects using WPA/PSK/AES now and it works like a champ.

Double check the SSID and password.

Reply to
Ajax

Rico: Thanks, this works Vic

Reply to
Bones

Hmm, I'm better then their tech support BTW give WPA with a good passphrase a try, it tends to be a bit more secure then WEP 64.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.