NEWS: Half of Wi-Fi hotspot money is wasted

Wireless hotspot usage is climbing, but more than half of the money spent on ad-hoc hotspot access is wasted, according to a survey by Wi-Fi roaming company Trustive.

The company said its research showed that half of the users surveyed were connected for 30 minutes or less per session, and more than a quarter of sessions were 15 minutes or under. With most hotspots charging by the hour, "basically you're wasting half your money", said Trustive co-founder and managing director Bram Jan Streefland. Click here to find out more!

Streefland said the problem is even more acute for businesses, because most hotspots require payment by credit card, which means the IT manager has no control over expenditure as the user simply pays it themselves and then charges it as expenses.

The answer, he claimed, is to use an aggregator - such as Trustive, Boingo, or iPass - which not only lets you roam across hotspot networks, but which charges by the minute or second, so you don't pay for unused time.

[MORE]
Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Interesting! If *I* were an IT manager, I would *never* pay for hotspot access for any employee; there are other alternatives for remote access for which IT can account for the business-related time. Let the hotspots suck $$ from Starbucks and Panera customers.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Panera's (at least as of about 20 minutes ago) is free.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

That is what I was thinking. The "IT" manager must have been trained by best buy to be so clueless. A knowledgeable IT manager would deploy something much more standardized and not have employees sitting at hotspots paying by the hour to do business.

Reply to
George

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.