Why I can't get Airlink 150N usb wifi to install?

I bought an Airlink 150N AWLL6070 usb 802.11N adapter at Fry's. $15 on sale, $20 more on sale for the Airlink N router. Yes I know Airlink is at the bottom of the food chain.

The quick installation guide is rev 1.3. The install CD does say it is for the 150N.

I open it up and follow the directions, using this under XP and again under Win2k.

1: Insert usb adapter

2: Windows launches Found New Hardware, cancel that and insert CD.

3: Select Install Driver from autorun screen

4: Click Next at welcome screen

5: Click Next for default destination

6: Click Continue Anyway to accept unverified (I don't think that showed up)

7: Click Yes want to restart and click Finish

8: On reboot see Found New hardware pop up... then your are supposed to say yes to install the software...

but the Found New Hardware is never triggered. I even tried running scan for new hardware and it says there is nothing new to find. I uninstall and try it all again, same thing.

The dongle doesn't appear dead, if I ignore that step

8 never happens it is sort of half there, the Airlink utility that looks for available networks tells me that it sees a live wifi device out there but it looks like it is missing the rest of the installation and trying to get it to use the Airlink network connection never works, or maybe I've somehow done something wrong trying to switch from an existing wired connection to the wireless dongle.

Seems a little unusual to install usb device first and then software, most mfgrs seem to say "for God's sake DON'T install the usb until after our software", so I tried that and it is even worse.

Can anyone think of something dumb I've missed or something I can try to get this to work? Maybe I've turned off some essential service, maybe I've turned off some permission, maybe some bit has been randomly clobbered somewhere. I've successfully used their G usb dongles a few years ago.

I sent email to Airlink support and would be very surprised if anyone ever responds.

Thank you for any suggestions or ideas that will make this work or even turn up some hints that will lead to a solution. If anyone knows of a set of steps to be followed to usually get Airlink, or to switch from wired to wireless, I'd really appreciate a pointer. I've been searching the net for hints and not found anything.

Reply to
dontdont
Loading thread data ...

- What happens when you now (after installing said drivers) start the system and )then_ install the USB device/

Does it 'find' the 150N?

- Did you try in explore the install CD and locate the driver install app? Perhaps installing it ala carte will be a path of success.

hth, TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

Sigh. You get what you pay for.

Strangely, the Airlink web pile doesn't have that model listed:

Either your directions are different from every other USB device on the planet, or you can't read very well.

Note: Before installing the utility software, DO NOT insert the USB adapter into your computer. If the adapter is inserted already, Windows will detect the adapter and request for a driver. Click Cancel to quit the wizard and remove the adapter from your computer.

The probem is that if you shove in the USB gizmo first, and later install the driver, you end up with two drivers installed. Do whatever it takes to undo the damage. If you can't uninstall it, and remove it from the Device Manager (hint: show hidden devices), then use System Restore to rewind your system back to before you misread the instructions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
driver download doesn't seem to work though.

Reply to
LR

The l "NEW: This product will be released soon."

I was look at:

Which kinda looks like the same company, but obviously is not. Weird.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Here are scans of the first 9 steps of the installation manual.

formatting link
Step 1 says "Insert the USB adapter into an available USB port.

Step 2 says "Windows will launch... Click Cancel...insert installation CD...

so as you say, this is either different or I can't read very well.

I believe I understand. Before I even posted the original message I did the Uninstall provided by Airlink and that got rid of most things, but as seems common it looks like there are still bits left floating around in the registry that were not removed, point to places that no longer exist, the usual lack of care cleaning up after an uninstall. But there are no Airlink bits left over in the Device Manager, hidden or otherwise. The Airlink uninstall did not remove the Airlink WAN monitor or the Airlink uninstall item from AllPrograms, but when I try the uninstall again it starts up with the uninstall bar and then disappears after a few seconds, perhaps finding there is nothing left that it is going to uninstall.

As you imply and someone else asked and I said in the original posting, when I tried installing the software before installing the hardware it looked like I didn't get as far as I did when doing it the opposite way round. I believe I was unable to get any signs of life at all that way.

I did get email from one person who said he has installed three of these, two under XP and one under Vista, and all three worked just fine for him.

Thanks for the suggestions. Anything else anyone can think of?

Reply to
dontdont

Weird. I stand corrected. The section I quoted came from a different model AirLink USB wireless device. I guess they changed procedures. Stretching what's left of my credibility, it appears that this new and improved procedure doesn't quite work. The broken link on the web site for updates is also a bit ominous.

Ok. That's the easy part.

Ummm... it would appear that there's something also broken in the uninstall. There's nothing wrong with leaving bits and pieces all over the machine, as long as they are not running or imbedded in the registry. I would use the system restore to be sure. Hopefully, the lack of a functional and complete uninstall is not an indication of a problem with the install.

Groan. That's what I was going to suggest. Install the CD first, and then cram in the USB device. However, you apparently did that and it didn't work any better than the original procedure. Not good.

Hmmmm... that would imply there's something odd about your system.

Nope. Just the usual guesses:

1. Are you running as a user with admin rights?
  2. Any viruses, worms, spyware, or "security" software running? Some of these interfere with installations. The one's that require your permission to change the registry are particularly fragile.
  3. Since this is a fresh installation, did you update to XP SP3? However, it's possible that the install breaks with SP3, while it worked with SP2. Dunno. Ask the person who had 3 installed for the patch level on his XP system.
  4. Do you have a "wireless manager" installed that takes over for Windoze Wireless Zero Config? If so, disable it and set the default wireless config utility to be WZC.
  5. Try a different USB port. Make sure it's USB 2.0, not 1.1.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hmm. Airlink+, Airlink101, and Phoebe Micro all share the same address

47606 Kato Road Fremont, CA 94538 There was a "Class Action" against Phoebe Micro about certain Airlink+ products with an opportunity to obtain Airlink101 products with a 15% rebate.

Phoebe Micro seem to use a variety of manufacturers going by the FCCID's listed on their website

Reply to
LR

Looks like a surplus inventory dealer. NHP Cameo Communications Inc, Taipei, Taiwan WLC Nothing found WLL Nothing found RTW Sirdar Metal & Plastic Works, Zhong Shan City, Guangdong, China MQ4 Player Systems Corp, Charlestown. Massachusetts H8N Askey Computer Corp, Taipei, Taiwan

The two with no Grantee on the FCC site can be anything between a typo and a fabrication. Hmmmm....

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

While looking through the "Madwifi" website I noticed a few Airlink cards with a couple of FCCID's, one of which was for Alpha Networks Inc. e.g. RRK-AWLC6080 which is badged Airlink101 AWLC6080. Having an hour to spare I trawled through their reports and found RRK-WUSN04 which covers the AWLL6070, C300RUV2, and WUS-N04

The C300RU V2 is a Conceptronic item but I was unable to access their website to check for a driver.

formatting link

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.