Can't Install Driver for Lynksys WUSB11 Network Adapter

I have a HP desktop pavilion xt963 running windows xp. I acquired

a > > Linksys WUSB11 wireless network adapter in order to communicate > with a > > 2wire moden/router feeding dsl to a Dell insprion laptop also running xp. > > > > In the beginning, the hardware setup wizard came on. However, it > said > > it could not find any software (but the Linksys CD was right in the > > drive). I tried again later. This time the wizard identified the setup file

name but when I pressed next or whatever there was a blue flash and nothing else. So I displayed the contents of the CD and tried to open

> setup.exe. There was a very brief flash then nothing. Could not > > activate setup.exe. > > > > So I copied the contents of the CD to my hard drive and tried > again. > > Same results. Then I went on Linksys' web site and downloaded

the

> driver from there. Tried it with same results. I loaded the set > up > > files on the laptop and tried from there. Same results.

Finally,

I > > went back to Linksys site and had a text messaging discussion

with

> a "tech" and agreed to download the driver from another link, the > > slight difference in nomenclature suggesting it was the European > > driver. Tried it. Same results (pulling hair out). > > > > Anyone have a good clue as to what is going on here?
Reply to
steve
Loading thread data ...

file name but when I pressed next or whatever there was a blue flash and nothing else. So I displayed the contents of the CD and tried to open setup.exe. There was a very brief flash then nothing. Could not activate setup.exe.

I believe that adapter is old enough that you can't use the wizard and also you can't have the adapter plugged in to the computer when you try to run setup from the CD. Have you tried that?

Reply to
Pen

yeah - you might try the install WITHOUT the device plugged in - in fact, most USB instructions tell you to do that... Reason ? Because when the USB device gets plugged in, it communicates with the OS a unique device adapter number that in turn hopefully matches up with a driver to support it. SO - plugging the USB device before you load the drivers may have dire consequences.... preventing correct driver/device association.

Reply to
ps56k

name but when I pressed next or whatever there was a blue flash and nothing else. So I displayed the contents of the CD and tried to open

You don't mention which version of the WUSB11 you have. I still have some info on one that I had and it says the following:-

1. Important for Windows XP users: Do NOT automatically run the Wireless USB Network Adapter Setup Wizard. If the Setup Wizard runs automatically after the Setup Wizard CD has been inserted, click the Exit tab.
  2. XP users must connect the Wireless USB Network Adapter before installing and configuring.
  3. After the Wireless USB Network Adapter has been physically connected to your computer, Windows will detect the new hardware.Insert the Setup Wizard CD into your CD-ROM Drive. Click the radio button next to Install from a list or specific location (Advanced). Then click the Next button to continue. Click the radio button next to Search for the best driver in these locations. Select Include this location in the search:, and enter D:\Drivers in the location field (if ?D? is the letter of your CD-ROM drive). Click the Next button. Windows might notify you that the driver has not yet passed Windows Logo testing. Since this product has been tested to work with Windows XP, click the Continue Anyway button. Windows will tell you when it has finished installing the new driver. Click the Finish button.
Reply to
LR

I ran into a similar situation recently. I never did figure out why the installation wouldn't work, but I was able to install the driver by manually using the .inf file in the driver folder. It then worked well with WZC.

Reply to
GTS

tup file name but when I pressed next or whatever

Thanks for all that info, which tracks what I had found already. The driver I have is v. 4 which is apparently the first version compatible with xp. The written instructions specifically say plug the device in first. That is what I started with. I got the setup wizard and when I clicked "install" there was a momentary flash then nothing else would happen. Same result you get when you open the CD and try to open setup.exe. (I also tried without having the device plugged in first. It didn't help.)

Reply to
steve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.