Wep

Can someone help, done searches but still cannot figure it out. I.m using a Linksys WRT54gs wireless network, sharing internet,printing and file sharing between 2 PC's and a Apple iBook with airport card. All are working fine and can see each other.Router is attached to PC 1. However, I have protection disabled and I want to have WEP activated on the router. I've generated a passkey on 64bit , 10 hex digits and ie, as follows:

Default transmit key : 2

A97349DADC EBEA1413D3 C604FA3C7B

5EC3997A5D

Now, when I've tried to connect to the network with PC 2 (Belkin wireless card installed) and the ibook and asked for the password, I've tried all the numbers (?) and the 10 numbers on line 2. I read somewhere, on the ibook to put a $ sign first . Still cannot connect.

What am I doing wrong......any idea ?

Want to get this sorted before someone parks outside my house with a laptop and pillages my PC's :-)

Reply to
Drew Peacock
Loading thread data ...

Set the Linksys to use only *one* WEP key. Macs can't work with rotating WEP keys.

Reply to
Neill Massello

"Drew Peacock" wrote in news:8sRPd.1094$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net:

I also read about the leading $ sign to signify hex characters when configuring an Airport card. Couldn't get that to work on my iMac, but using 0x worked fine. So if you're using key 2, specify this as: 0xEBEA1413D3

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

True. However, the Airport client will work with 64bit WEP keys. Listing four of these 64bit keys in the access point is probably the only way to configure it. As I vaguely recall, the Airport driver is currently smart enough to recognize the difference between 128bit keys in hex or ASCII, but fails to automagically recognize the difference between 64bit hex and ASCII (this may have been fixed). I use 64bit keys on my office LAN (because I have a pile of Orinoco Silver cards) so I run into the problem often. As I recall, I had to prefix the hex WEP key with either a $ or 0x to have it recognized. I always use Key #1 and have never bothered trying the others. In any case, a byte of trial and error (8 tries) with the prefix and hex format on the Airport should yield something that eventually works.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks Jeff & Richard, all sorted and secure. Just installed extra RAM in the iBook so now well happy,

Cheers !

Reply to
Drew Peacock

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.