A couple of dumb questions...

Does is work ok without WEP enabled? Is DHCP enabled on the wireless boxes? There are some incompatabilies in some computers to use passphrases generated by other computers.. Try entering your own key 0-f such as 2a3b4c5def in the router then enter the samy hex key in the wireless.

number in

anything

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Hi guys, I'm a real noob so please excuse the questions. I'm using a Belkin 7230-4 (802.11g) Router to allow me to share my Cable Modem around the house (I'm not sharing files or printers). PC 1 is connected via a LAN cable, PC 2 is wireless via a PCI card and PC 3 (a laptop) is wireless via a PCMCIA card.

1) I've tried setting up WEP but I couldn't get it to work with the two wireless PCs. I typed in a passphrase on PC 1 and the 4 x 64bit keys were generated. I selected the third key. When I typed the 10digit number in (on a wireless PC) to access the secure network, it just sits there telling me it can't obtain the IP address. Am I missing something here? 2) The connectivity rates for PC 2 change quite markedly. Sometimes it goes to below 11mbs and then others it's up to 54mbs. I'm not doing anything that would account for any drop so why is this? 3) If someone unauthorised was accessing my wireless network, would I know about it? Is there a log or something that would tell me this?

Many thanks for any answers you can give.

Regards,

Linda

Reply to
Freddie

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. Yes, the network is fine without WEP enabled. DHCP is enabled and each of the three PCs are listed in the Client List. OK, thanks for the tip. I'll have a bash at doing it manually.

Regards,

Linda

Reply to
Freddie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.