Wap11 1.x & the power boost.

I recently got a Palm T|X, and thus decided it was time to add wifi at home. I got a Wap11 v1.x from ebay and all was good. I then discovered the power boost ability. I made the change but my TX does not show it as being much better. This is just going by the level of the green scale in the TX itself.

So, should I be doing download speed tests from various distances to see if the power boost really worked, or is the TX really telling me that it did not work?

If it did not work, what might I be doing wrong?

I used ap-utils-1.5 in Linux and changed the radio settings for all channels to 128 (80h). It clearly took the values since ap-config still shows them there after a reset of the Wap11.

Oh, and I did upgrade the firmware to the latest that linksys offered, (1.4i.1). That jumped me from 64bit WEP to 128bit and added the IP filter.

Reply to
Doug Herr
Loading thread data ...

I guess the answer to that was "yes". I found the dslreports wireless speed test. Sure enough, I can show that there is maybe a 20 to 30 foot greater circle around the house where I can get a reasonable output from the speed test when using the higher radio numbers. I was hoping for a greater boost, but I guess when you look at the overall area of the coverage it *is* much larger. It was hard to not look at it as a simple linear value moving away from the AP.

Reply to
Doug Herr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.