Verizon air card + wireless router

I've heard of using a Verizon air card with a wireless router to create a local hotspot - sorta like the MiFi -

any links to such devices ?

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

I use something like this routinely, as my only broadband here at home is via a 3G phone system. I use a cradlepoint router, but there are other brands. Here's a few at Newegg.... incidentally, they will work with any carrier... I use AT&T because their cell tower is near my home.

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

Oops....

formatting link

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

I use a similar setup around a Cradlepoint MBR1200. You can find out more about them here:

formatting link

-or here-

formatting link
Between all of us we have 4 'desk top' boxes and 3 portables scattered around the property. All are hooked up wirelessly, as well as printers and backup devices, and play well together.

Cradlepoint has a variety of devices; with more, less, or different features. The one I have will adapt USB plug-in cellular modems, air cards, PC cards, and other things as well as do load-balancing or select a different link should one go down. I've been using it for about a year, and have been very satisfied with it. Our only on-going problem has been flakey service from the AT&T cellular service provider.

Fortunately, I'm about to tie in a direct microwave link to a local service provider about 10km across the valley, and will soon be able to junk that

*&^%$#@!~ AT&T USB dongle! It's going to be nice to get unlimited bandwidth, and 2X cable speeds--BOTH WAYS! Woo-hoo!

Dusty

Reply to
Just plain Dusty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.