V-FONS

Has anyone tried one of those vonage v-fons with a laptop and pcmcia card?

I have a stable "good" connection on a P150 laptop for internet now. Using only a good firewall and no router on this one computer connection. Connection is on a channel not shared by others (site survey shows only transmitter on that channel), but my connection speed seems to vacillate alot. Using Tor for security, so maybe that's part of the speed variations I'm getting. Vonage says I only need 90kbs connection for the vfon to work with a router. I have not measured my data speed, am guessing it is probably around 5mb/s. But this varies from very slow to 10mbs according to my firewall.

They also claim the vfon works on a usb port on win98se with no separate drivers needed. The fee for the phone and startup is around $100 and they CLAIM they will refund it all if returned if cannot get it working in 30 days.

Anyone give me an idea if the vfon can make a fairly dependable substitute for a landline phone in such a case. I am probably dreaming :-).

Grateful for any good replies on this, thank you.

Reply to
allthumbs
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.