usr 808054

I cannot recommend this router. It keeps on disconnecting. My next router will be a LinkSys.

Reply to
Shooting Star
Loading thread data ...

I can recommend the USR8054 I have had 0 problems with it...Linksys on the other hand has been terrible...went through 3 of them in a 2 year period...

Reply to
GuitarMan

are you using WPA-PSK ? I am using that, as it is most safest security measure the thing supports, I have to reboot my router every day, within 24 hours the thing just stops broadcasting. If I have a connection, once in every hour it just drops the connection while my computer is only 3 m away from the router. I remember it was more stable using WEP but I noticed hack attempts while viewing the log when I used that, so it's no option.

"GuitarMan" schreef in bericht news:pgiWd.1863$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Shooting Star

Yes, I am using WPA-PSK and I have had no problems. Have you tried flashing/re-flashing with the latest firmware and then doing a reset on the router?

Reply to
GuitarMan

Guitar Man,

I was just about to mention that... but I think that might be above the technical operations of the above >=}

-gg-

GuitarMan wrote:

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I am not so far as to discard my USR 808054 yet. The USR 808054 I bought a week ago works very well as wired router. I still have problems to connect wirelessly though ... This might be because I am inexperienced in making a wireless connection: we recently purchased a Dell laptop with a wireless WLAN

1450 dual band WLAN mini-PCI card. Currently, the router still runs with the Firmware Version: 1.21h , Tue, 3 Feb 2004 We tried a lot of things, without success Here are some 'highlights' of what we tried, perhaps it gives you some clues:
  • The laptop is able to connect to the router via a cable (and built-in ethernet card), and do stuff via the LAN. My own pc works very fine in that way;

• The laptop is able to make a wireless adhoc connection with another pc (not one of the pcs in our home network - I do not have another wireless card available). Have not been able to test another wireless access point yet.

• The laptop is able to 'see' the router with excellent s/n ratio. Connecting fails however. Also all the settings of the router that can be 'seen' by the laptop appear correct (channel, encryption (tried with & without), etc.). I note that the MAC address seen by the laptop is not the one indicated by the router under 'wireless' in the 'status'. It is the one indicated under 'LAN'. I do not know whether this is significant.

• Once, when I lowered temporarily the MAC filtering for some testing, I noticed from the log that someone was able to access (I do not know who), so it seems possible.

I have the following questions (of course any other suggestions are welcome):

• Has anyone encountered similar problems, and found a solution? (I have the idea we are missing something small & stupid, or otherwise the router may be broken (the first we got was completely inaccessible and had to be returned))

• Is the MAC address of the router (see comment above) as seen by the laptop correct?

• Do you think it will help to upgrade to the firmware posted on the USR website for 125 Mbps Upgrade (Version 1.64b34). Before it works at all I'm not really loooking for an upgrade, that I'm not sure the laptop supports ...

I hope someone can help out, because this is becoming quite frustrating ... Thanks in advance,

Gerben

Shoot> I cannot recommend this router. It keeps on disconnecting. My next router

Reply to
Gerben Sinnema

You should try to connect to it with MAC filtering off. Examine the log and you will see the MAC address of your laptop as your router sees it. Use that in your MAC table. Don't forget to set the type to wireless otherwise it will not connect.

I think 1.64b34 is broke if you use WPA-PSK. 1.21 might be more stable.

Reply to
Shooting Star

I did, but no luck. Though it already had the latest firmware, followed your advise and flashed the router with version version 1.64b34, reset it to the default factory settings and reconfigured it. My configurion is: No SSID broadcast use of the MAC table for restricted access and WPA-PSK

This morning I had to reset the router again to connect to it. One of my friends has the same router and sees the same behaviour.

Reply to
Shooting Star

Thanks for your help. See my additional comments below.

Gerben

Shoot>>* Is the MAC address of the router (see comment above) as seen by the >>laptop correct?

I tried both (MAC filtering on and off). I use different MAC addresses for wireless and wired, and indeed set type to wireless. Problem is: the router doesn't seem to see the laptop. The laptop sees the settings of the router, but is not able to connect.

Thanks. The earlier discussion about resets scares me a bit (I mainly use the router for my wired pc connection). May still try in the end. Should be able to switch back I guess ...

Reply to
Gerben Sinnema

I don't know for sure what could be wrong here. Here are some suggestions. Your card supports 802.11 A/B and G. Maybe there are settings you should apply to force it into a certain mode. In that case 802.11 G would be the best configuration. Check in the properties of your wireless card if TCP/IP is configured to aquire automatically an address.

Reply to
Shooting Star

I wrote USR about my problems with this router and within a week I got a response with a new firmware version 1.44 for the usr 808054. I installed it yesterday and it seems to work; I could connect to the router today without having to reboot it first.

Reply to
Shooting Star

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.