dhcp - manual bindings

I'm having problems with manual bindings in IOS 12.2. ip pools serving a whole network works without a flaw.

I'm dealing with network printers. The printers have no problem receiving an address from a dhcp service serving a network. But when I try to manually bind an address to them within the pool or on a network that has no dhcp services I fail in some cases. I have a vlan setup. The problem includes the clients that connect directly to the VTP master. The image I'm running is "cat4000-i9k91s-mz.122-20.EW.bin".

I have tried the following:

All the interfaces that the printers connect to are set to the appropriate vlan. All the interfaces have "spanning-tree portfast" enabled.

ip dhcp pool printer1300 host xxx.xxx.xxx.134 255.255.255.240 client-identifier 0100.01e6.6792.ad default-router xxx.xxx.xxx.129 dns-server xxx.xxx.xxx.235 xxx.xxx.xxx.250

At first I used: client-identifier 0001.e667.92ad

Then in the documentation I was told to identify the ethernet type with a 01 in front of the mac-address. By doing that one of my printers was able to get the address I assigned to it, but using the same method with the other bindings I got no results.

Somewhere in the manual I was told to use client-identifier for microsoft clients. I have in these printer's case tried both hardware-address and client-identifier.

I have been debugging the "ip dhcp", when these clients that do not receive an ip address make a request I see in my logging "DHCPD: there is no address pool for xxx.xxx.xxx.129."

# not regarding the manual bindings, but the dhcp pool Before I started trying manual bindings I set the lease lifetime to 30 "lease 30", that did not work at all, because if the devices/printers were rebooted they received a new ip address.

Any help appreciated. with regards Sigurdur Einarsson

Reply to
S. Einarsson
Loading thread data ...

On 9/27/2005 12:25 PM, S. Einarsson wrote: ------->

At first I used:

can we get the whole debug dhcp output?

Reply to
Anthrax

Here's the easiest way to do your manual bindings.

1. on your DHCP server, turn on:

debug ip dhcp server events debug ip dhcp server packet

1. reboot your printer and watch its DHCP (or possibly BOOTP) request come in

1. issue the command "show ip dhcp binding"

If the printer got the manual binding, then that's great. If it got an address from the pool instead, then use its client ID / hardware address instead.

Note: if "show ip dhcp binding" shows the "hardware address" in MAC address format, a la 0001.e667.92ad, then use that as hardware-address rather than as client-identifier. If binding shows some other format, then that's a client-identifier.

Our documentation on this could use some work I'm afraid.

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.