how to inquire about Linksys WAP54G wired to desktop?

I just installed WAP54G and it is now talking to a WPC54G PC card on my laptop. Everything seems working OK for now. I can at least look at signal strength, etc on my laptop via an icon at bottom. But I've looked high and low to discover any trace of the installation of the WAP54G access point hooked into my router (also connected to a cable modem).

On setup it gave me IP address 192.168.1.245 but I can find no trace of that. Since I can find no software concerning WAP54G on the desktop, there's no help files, etc. Can someone please tell me what's up? Is there a place to go to explain why I can find nothing about my installation? Thanks for any help.

remove 4 if replying by email

Reply to
rob
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried http://192.168.1.1 ? Wasn't there a sheet with the router that gave you "quick start" instructions?

Reply to
Warren Oates

Hello, thanks for the reply. There's nothing at 192.168.1.1 or 100, or 245 which is what the installation CD said.

However, I have stumbled into the 2port/2phone vonage router my WAP54G is plugged into at 192.168.15.1 but nothing at any other sub address (it says 100 thru 149 but no response there).

Looking around in the router stuff I find a routing table list that shows a "destination LAN IP" at 72.181.40.0 and another entry shows a default gateway at

72.181.40.1 but I can get no response from either address.

So I'm stumped > >

Reply to
rob

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:28:12 GMT, rob wrote in :

Everything seems working OK for now. I can at least look at signal strength, etc on my laptop via an icon at bottom. But I've looked high and low to discover any trace of the

to a cable modem).

Nope -- that was the address assigned by Windows when DHCP failed. And DHCP comes from the router, not the access point.

files, etc.

No software is needed -- you configure with a standard web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer).

You may need to manually configure your network port with an address in the same range as the access point in order to access the configuration screen.

Reply to
John Navas

Sir, thanks for your reply. Well, I have no idea why I can't make anything work

-- I followed the instructions in the little booklet very carefully (and it gives no info at all about how the overall system should work).

OK on your suggestion > You may need to manually configure your network port with an address in > the same range as the access point in order to access the configuration > screen.

I'd like to try to manually configure my "network port" -- but I don't know what that is. Is it somewhere in my router setup at 192.168.15.1? That is the only IP address my browser will find.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. Rob

John Navas wrote:

laptop. Everything seems working OK for now. I can at least look at signal strength, etc on my laptop via an icon at bottom. But I've looked high and low to discover any trace of the

to a cable modem).

files, etc.

Reply to
rob

Your problem seems to be that the AP is at 192.168.1.245 and the router, at 192.168.15.1, wants to see sources at 192.168.15.xxx where xxx=100 to

149. So if you can't change the router, then change the AP to 192.168.15.149.
Reply to
Pen

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:55:59 GMT, rob wrote in :

-- I followed the instructions in the little booklet very carefully (and it gives no info at all about how the overall system should work).

what that is. Is it somewhere in my router setup at 192.168.15.1? That is the only IP address my browser will find.

I've re-read your prior posts, and now see that you can connect to the router.

Have you tried (the default address for your access point) in Internet Explorer? What happens?

Otherwise, look for DHCP in your router's configuration screens, and see what address it's handing out to your access point, and use that instead.

Also, with your computer connected to the access point, open a command window, run "IPCONFIG /ALL", and post the exact output (using copy and paste) in a post here.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for responding. The first IP I tried was 192.168.1.245 which is what the original setup from CD said. It does not find that or any address at 192.168.1.1 or any in that range.

I just again went to the only address I can find of my 2port/2 phone router

192.168.15.1 and it has DCHP enabled and the address range is given as 192.168.15.100-149. I tried 100,101,102, and a bunch of random addresses in this range and I get no connection.

In your last sentence you say > Also, with your computer connected to the access point, open a command > window, run "IPCONFIG /ALL", and post the exact output (using copy and > paste) in a post here.

My problem is that I cannot find any connection to my AP, only my router. That is my main problem as far as I can tell.

Just in case you meant me to do this when connected to my router, here's what I got: C:\\Documents and Settings\\Rob>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rkp1 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/ ion Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-76-20-9 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.102 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1 192.168.15.2

Ethernet adapter {43975A8B-67A2-4F6F-B12F-5A14E2CF9CE6}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nortel IPSECS eduler Miniport Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-4 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I tried connecting to 192.168.15.2 and to .102 and I get nothing ("page cannot be displayed"). I note it says here that dhcp is not enabled but in the setup page for the router I see that Local DHCP Server is Enabled. This is confusing.

Thanks again for your help. Rob

John Navas wrote:

work -- I followed the instructions in the little booklet very carefully (and it gives no info at all about how the overall system should work).

what that is. Is it somewhere in my router setup at 192.168.15.1? That is the only IP address my browser will find.

Reply to
rob

You'll have to plug your NIC into the AP not the router to change the AP address or change the router address to 192.168.1.1 and its range to

100-255. I hope this is clear to you now. Your problem is there are 2 different subnets here.
Reply to
Pen

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:39:57 GMT, rob wrote in :

Could you please use a newsreader with proper wrapping? Your overly long lines are hard to deal with. Thanks.

There's your problem: That subnet mask will only allow you to connect to the range 192.168.15.0 - 192.168.15.254, making the access point at

192.168.1.245 unreachable! To reach the access point, you could change the address range in the router to include the access point; i.e., * Router LAN (gateway) address: 192.168.1.1 * DHCP address range: 192.168.1.100-149
Reply to
John Navas

I apologize about the "wrapping". I don't know what the proper wrapping is. I will attempt to determine that and change it if I can.

I looked again at my router and it does not allow me to change the first three numbers in DHCP (192.168.15) and forces me in this range. It's beginning to appear these two devices just aren't compatible even though they are both made by LinkSys. Do you know another mfgr of AP's that may allow me to use the proper 192.168.1.100-149 address range?

Thank you again for your time. Rob

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
rob

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:18:31 GMT, rob wrote in :

This was fine -- thanks!

You probably need to change the LAN (Gateway) address first. It probably just won't let you configure DHCP to a different range.

Another option is to change the AP IP to the range of the router. Manually configure your PC to the same range as the AP (e.g.,

192.168.1.100), and then you should be able to access the AP config, and change it to 192.168.15.254. This is best done by a wired connection.

Didn't you get a CD with the WAP54G? That has a configuration utility that makes configuration much easier, as described in the manual. If you don't have the manual, download it from

or

Reply to
John Navas

John, I did find a place to change the 15 in 192.168.15.1 in my router setup. I changed it to 1. Then when I rebooted I had no internet at all. Finally I found literature and it told me to do a power up reset and I finally got back on the air again after an hour of worry. So it appears that changing from 15 on my router isn't an option.

Since my whole effort so far on this is to actually be able to see a setup screen for my AP I like your suggestion but I have no clue how to do that. You say: > Another option is to change the AP IP to the range of the router. > Manually configure your PC to the same range as the AP (e.g., > 192.168.1.100), and then you should be able to access the AP config, and > change it to 192.168.15.254. This is best done by a wired connection.

Since I have no access to the AP I can't change anything on it. You say manually configure my "PC" to the same range as the AP (which all this time I am assuming it is 192.168.1.245 since that's what I was told when I was going thru the CD installation - I wrote it down but have never seen any evidence of what it really is). I didn't know my PC had an IP config and I don't know how to change that one. And of course all I'm doing is done thru a wired connection -- I haven't yet used anything involving wireless at all (if I every find evidence that I actually have a working AP, I may try using the wireless connection it should provide).

Thanks for the links to the pdf files. I got them and will start reading there. Too bad Linksys never provided me with a single word of help or guideance on any of this. I'll certainly avoid their stuff in the future.

Thanks, Rob

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
rob

Reply to
rob

You have to have DHCP set up on your desktop so the router can assign it a proper address and DNS settings. Try going into the TCP/IP settings for your Intel networking card and enabling DHCP (get ip address from the router). This will at least make sure that you are on the same subnet as the router. If possible, in your router's DHCP settings, set the Subnet Mask to 255.255.0.0 so you can temporarily reach the subnet with your WAP on it. If your DHCP settings can't handle it, disbale DHCP on your desktop (not router) and set your IP to an IP within you routers subnet (192.168.15.XXX) and set the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 so you can reach the subnet with your access point on it (assuming that it is 195.168.X.X).

Good Luck

Reply to
Bryant Smith

A subnet is the range of addresses considered local on your LAN. Other addresses are forwarded out the gateway (router) to the WAN (Internet). You can only talk to addresses on your LAN that are in the same subnet.

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:18:16 GMT, rob wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:15:37 GMT, rob wrote in :

It almost certainly is an option -- you probably just didn't complete the process properly. (You've often been leaping to conclusions that aren't warranted. First suspect cockpit error, instead of leaping to the conclusion that it can't be done.)

Teaching you these networking basics is probably beyond what I can accomplish in this newsgroup. You really need to use the CD setup that came with your access point.

Again, bad assumption. Your Linksys AP should have come with a CD that had both documentation and a good installation tool, which it sounds like you actually ran. Again, I suspect cockpit error. A different product might well be worse. Go back through the CD installation again, more carefully, following along in the User Guide, and ask for help here on whatever you don't understand.

Reply to
John Navas

Sir, thank you for the tips. I don't yet understand what they mean but hopefully I will sometime in the future. I think the immediate goal will be to figure out where the heck to find the "TCP/IP settings for your Intel networking card". I think this is built into my MoBo but have no idea yet how to access it.

Anything new is always frustrating and this subject seems more so -- I have been reading a lot of things but somehow I haven't run into the very basics I need.

Thanks aga> rob wrote:

Reply to
rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.