uPnP on home/school router

Just tested a newly purchased Dlink DIR-601 router for our son to take back to school... Left it setup with the local 192.168..0.1 address and plugged it into our local 192.168.1.x network to get a WAN side DHCP address. Worked fine - hardwire and WiFi -

I also think I stumbled onto what I thought was an ICS or 192.168.0.1 issue that I posted in another thread, but now think it really is the uPnP router feature/setup. I have that feature disabled on my local routers, so never really saw it pop up on Windows Network Connections (XP).

So - I read about what uPnP does, and wondering if and when it really should be enabled ?

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

The usual purpose is for illicit filesharing. The risks are considerable, not only from the illicit filesharing, but also from being hacked. My standard practice is to turn UPnP off.

Reply to
John Navas

Turn it off. The instructions for setting up most university student routers include a section on turning it off:

See step 7.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The short answer is that uPNP allows a application to request a port forward or other router configuration changes without manual configuration.

Some routers have bugs that allow malicious software to have more power than they should, but as a rule this type of exploit needs malicious software already running on the PC anyway, so it's like being a little bit pregnant, there's little practical difference between being compromised and being more compromised.

That being said, I'd turn it off and configure port forwarding manually in most configurations.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

That "rule" is incomplete -- there are also _external_ exploits.

Good advice.

Reply to
John Navas

Sure, but external exploits are on the wrong side of the NAT / firewall to open a port using UPnP.

If the router is buggy enough to accept UPnP requests from outside, you've likely got other design flaws that will bite you long before this one does.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Only if you assume the router is designed and programmed perfectly with no vulnerability on the WAN side, a dangerous assumption.

1. I've yet to see _any_ router without serious bugs, especially the cheap consumer ones.
  2. UPnP compromise opens the door to serious hacking, and is thus more serious than most other kinds of vulnerabilities (e.g., DoS attack).
Reply to
John Navas

UPnP opens ports on the WAN side of the router. The most common are Microsoft Messenger ports at two per client. When I scanned my firewall for open ports, I was rather surprised to see two random ports open for every Windoze PC I had on the network. Also common is for a virus to use UPnP to open a WAN port to allow the evil bad guys to control a trojaned PC.

Pg 13.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.