Router Recommendation

Is there a 802.11g wireless router that allows DHCP to assign other than class C ip addresses. I have a client who uses a class c ip scheme and I can't attach with a class c address (ie client uses 192.168.1.xxx) and connection fails if I use a router assigning a 192.168.1.xxx address going thru his VPN.

I currently use a Netgear MR814 which allows me to use class A addresses in DHCP...would like to update from b to g.

Thanks!

Lee

Reply to
Lee
Loading thread data ...

Tried a Linksys WRT54GS...it specifically states that the ip is only

192.168.1.xxx

And looking at the Linksys site, that appears to be common throughout their line.

riggor wrote:

Reply to
Lee

All the Linksys routers I have used allow use of B and C (never tried A)

You are NOT restricted to 192.168.1.xxx

Reply to
<riggor>

duh...

use a different class c subnet. ie: 192.168.not-1.xxx

dookie

Reply to
dookie

You need to set up the LAN address of the Router appropriately. The DHCP settings are based on what the address of the router is. Almost all of the routers that I have seen give you complete flexibility in this regard.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Incorrect. I've set my own Linksys WRT54G to use 10.35.0.* addresses. Works fine.

-- Jafo

Reply to
Jafo

From DLink manual: "The DWL-900AP+ has a default IP Address of 192.168.0.50 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. After you have assigned a Static IP Address to the computer you are using for configuration (if necessary), next you will assign the DWL-900AP+ an IP Address within the range of your existing network."

I use it in conjunction with a Linksys router which defaults to

192.168.1.xxx. Changed the DL> Again, Linksys and the new Netgear restrict the IP to 192.168.1.XXX for
Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

AFAIK, Buffalo's let you start at any IP address and distribute up to

253 addresses above it.
Reply to
Neill Massello

Lee wrote

Is there a 802.11g wireless router that allows DHCP to assign other than class C ip addresses. I have a client who uses a class c ip scheme and I can't attach with a class c address (ie client uses 192.168.1.xxx) and connection fails if I use a router assigning a 192.168.1.xxx address going thru his VPN.

I currently use a Netgear MR814 which allows me to use class A addresses in DHCP...would like to update from b to g.

Thanks!

Lee

Lee I have a Linksys WRT54G router (WRT54GS will be essentially the same). You can use ANY of the private IP address spaces with the router and have the router dole out DHCP addresses in whatever quantity the subnet address space allows...in a WRT54G router go to

Setup Network setup (about half way down) type in your local IP address of choice Class C: 192.168.1.XX Class B:

172.16.XX.XX Class A: 10.XX.XX.XX

add the subnet mask. The default mask for C is 255.255.255.0 B is

255.255.0.0 A is 255.0.0.0

Set DHCP server to enable, add the starting range and however many DHCP user addresses you want your router to dole out.

There you'll have it, you can choose ANY private IP address space you want and have the router dole out as many DHCP addresses as the address space will allow, starting at whatever point in the address block you want (you may want to get ahold of a free copy of Wildpackets or Solarwinds in order to get an address calculator).

Linksys and most of the other wireless router companies shows 192.168.1.XX because that is the one that it usually defaults to and is perfectly OK to use. Personally, I use a class A address space with an unusual subnet mask, just to make it a bit harder to assume (like most) that I exist in the default address zone.

Reply to
Bob Schmidt

Where does it say that? I believe you misunderstand what it is saying. I have a WRT54GS, and I use it set to 10.0.0.x. 192.168.1.xxx is only the default IP, you can change it to pretty much whatever you want. I'm really not sure what the limitations are, but it most definitely does NOT limit you to 192.168.1.xxx.

Reply to
Ook

Not true. Totally false. I've used different IPs with both Linksys and Netgear routers.

Reply to
Ook

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.