Upgrade from ISP

today they were supposed to upgrade equipment to get min 5 meg down speed, or max 20 meg down, if I want. They changed appointment to next Friday, or sooner if equipment gets in. Rhino communications bought the towers in this area from my old ISP. I've been barely getting by with about

1.5 to 2.0 meg down speed for years, which isn't terrible, but needs to be better.

They have an antenna on top of the house, aimed at a tower

10 miles or so away. I'll see how good the 5 meg down speed does and then decide if I want to upgrade further to 10, 15, or 20 meg. Each additional increase is $10.00. I can hardly wait.

This type of internet could work for a lot of areas. Yesterday, I read a story about an area, where a realtor had to lower the price of a house by $60,000.00 because the ISP wouldn't extend coverage 200 feet, and buyers wanted high speed internet.

Would you be happy with 5 meg down, or would you want more?

Reply to
Lord Bergamot
Loading thread data ...

Very interesting! I certainly hope your results are different from mine. I have a wireless ISP (sounds like what you are describing) but the prices are ~$50/mo for 3 MB down, ~$100/mo for 5 MB down..... I have the 5 MB plan, but seldom get even 3 MB measured. The only alternatives are satellite (I had HughesNet since before it was called that) and it was sometimes slower than dialup; or 4G cellular which is very expensive if you use > 10 GB/month.

Right now the ISP "says" they're moving some users off the device I connect to on the tower so my service should improve. (I'm about a mile away from the tower, heavily wooded.) There's no way we could get a signal 10 miles away. Probably not even 4G cellular. The service my ISP recommends for speed checks is

formatting link
(just in case you want to see if your service improves or not).

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

As a follow-up to my post, I ran a speed test right after sending that post. Here's the result:

Download Speed: 884 kbps (110.5 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 1682 kbps (210.3 KB/sec transfer rate) Latency: 109 ms

2/21/2015, 9:02:36 AM

And for this crappy service I'm paying just over $100 / month!

I'm seriously considering 4G cellular as an alternative which will raise my cost to about $160/month.

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

Just for the heck of it I tried your link. Measures me at 38 Gbps down and 10 Gbps up. My (cable) ISP account is rated at 'up to' 50 Gbps but I've never gotten close to that. Still, I feel for you guys. I'd hate to ever have to go back to the slow (dial up, then DSL for me) old days.

Reply to
scarecrow

We don't have many trees in this area, so there are some people who have antennas pointed at towers 18 miles away. Maybe your ISP will be bought out. ERF used to tell me they were taking some people off the tower so mine would be faster. Hopefully, you can get a better ISP soon.

I've thought about getting Virgin Mobile Broadband to go, for when I drive. It's no contract.

formatting link

Hughes SUX. I didn't always feel that way. Back in the 90's, I had one way Hughes, before they got duplex. Everything went good for a few years, then, the LNB went out.

It's a long story, if I told you everything that happened over three months. Long story short, the technicians refused to let me speak to a supervisor, until I had to threaten to drive to Germantown, Penn. and start beating the crap out of everyone who works for Hughes. Finally, I was able to. He said (Hell, they sent me the wrong LNB, and I should have stayed on the original satellite).

I told them where they could stick it, and quit Hughes for good. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm still pissed. When a company goes to that much trouble to piss me off, I don't get over it.

Right now my download speed is almost the same as yours Download Speed: 792 kbps (99 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 640 kbps (80 KB/sec transfer rate) Latency: 176 ms 2/21/2015, 4:24:15 PM

I used to have ERF wireless.

formatting link

Now my ISP is Rhino Communications Rhino Communications charges $43.26 for 5 meg, then additional $10.00 for each increase, 10, 15, 20 meg. They don't list prices on the web.

formatting link

888-502-5777

we have a 4g ISP called Fuego Wireless

formatting link

1-855-663-8346 Max 3 Mbps for $58.95

There's a new wireless company in town

formatting link
Prices are listed on website. They want a big deposit, depending on contract length.

432-758-9283
Reply to
Possum

I sent that last post from the big computer with another handle. It was from me.

Reply to
Lord Bergamot

Must be terrible. I'm trying to watch a PBS video, it keeps buffering, and buffering, and buffering. Then it restarted. Maybe after the upgrade I can watch it without interruption.

Reply to
Lord Bergamont

Gbps is Gigabits per second. You don't have that. ;-) You almost certainly meant Mbps (Megabits per second).

Reply to
Char Jackson

Yup. Perhaps just a little excessive bragging there. I'm lucky I got the bps part right though (didn't I?) ...

Reply to
scarecrow

The rest was perfect. :-)

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.