Sonicwall Problem

I recently had a T1 data circuit installed to replace a 1M DSL account. We use a sonicwall pro 200 as our firewall. For some reason when I reconfigure the network on the sonicwall for the new circuit and bring it up, the web traffic from network computers on it runs at about 50-60k. The circuit ran fine when run directly into my laptop. I even tested it through and old SOHO/10 and it worked there too!

Any ideas on where to look for the cause of this problem? When I put the circuit back to the DSL account speeds ramp right back up to normal again. Strangely enough with this traffic problem I'm still able to copy a file to a remote office through a VPN channel and it seems okay with that kind of traffic.

Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jones
Loading thread data ...

Can you be more specific about the T1? Is it a frame relay T1 connected by an ISP supplied router? Or is it Pt to Pt to the ISP?

Given that the sonic only has ethernet ports, exactly HOW are you connectiong it to the T1?

I am thinking this is likely some sort of MTU issue here, But need more info.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Thanks for responding. I'm doing some more research currently and could use some assistance in the MTU area if you have some. This T1 circuit is supplied by the ISP and I don't believe is Frame Relay ... although they do supply the router and I have no access to it. THis Adtran device ( ethernet ) goes directly into my WAN port. Now I have had some recent success with forcing my WAN Port to be 10 Mbps Full Duplex. Any attempt at

100 or half duplex yielded poor results. I'm going to see if I can get the ISP to force that port to one setting and then I'll match it in the sonic wall.

When I do this, I can do bandwidth speed test that come in at 1.3 but I have load a heavy graphic page it seems to go a lot slower then that ( I've seen faster on my 1 Meg DSL at home ). Currently I have MTU set to fragment outbound packets larger then WAN MTU which is set to 1500.

Thanks,

Reply to
Andrew Jones

Reply to
Andrew Jones

OK, what about INBOUND fragments? the 200 sonics default to dropping incoming fragmented packets i think. Go to the "rules" tab on the access page. Edit the rule that allows HTTP traffic - see if the "aloow fragmented packest" box is checked.

Try lowering the mtu to 1490.

See if either if these help.

Next step is to slap a laptop with etheral on it and see what is going on...

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Set your MTU to 1430 and see if that makes any difference.

Reply to
Leythos

You probably have already done this, but you should make sure you are using the latest firmware. Also there is no need to have the WAN set at 100, 10 should be fine. Your internet is only capable of 1.5.

Reply to
SpiritBoy

Hi,

The SonicWALL currently only accepts MTU increments of 8 (1500, 1492,

1484, 1476, .. 1436, 1428, ...)

joe

SpiritBoy wrote:

Reply to
joelevy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.