Traveling in Europe (need good WiFi extension for Windows)

Drilling a hole wasn't my proposed solution. My proposal was to simply string an Ethernet cable between the two balconies. It's cheap, fast, very effective, and ugly. It's temporary, though, so the ugly part can perhaps be forgiven.

Someone else suggested drilling a hole, and then a follow-up suggested that they'd have to buy a drill, etc. My comment was simply, don't most people already have a drill? The answer, apparently, is no. I've always had drills, I have five currently, but I guess not everyone is like me.

Reply to
Char Jackson
Loading thread data ...

A long time. And it would be very hard work. Is the wall solid brick? Did it say that anywhere in the thread? If it did, I missed it.

Moreover, unless you have a big, heavy, powerful, expensive electric drill, it will be inadequate for drilling through a solid brick wall. The $10 drills won't do it.

But it really doesn't matter. I wasn't recommending that anyone use a manual drill. I was simply responding to the statement "Don't most people have a drill?" I'm sure that Char meant "Don't most people have an *electric* drill?" and I was just pointing out that the word "electric" was omitted (probably inadvertently).

Reply to
Ken Blake

Where is the Home Depot?

And why would I want to do that anyway?

Reply to
Steve Hayes

And I was just pointing out that a Bear Extender (or similar gadget) does a better job of ingreasing the strngth of a WiFi signal than a drill, electric or otherwise.

Reply to
Steve Hayes
[snip]

My father used to have a manual drill that looked like an eggbeater (crank and gears).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I don't consider something ugly if it has an important function.

I lot of people seem to have forgotten what an "ethernet cable" is, and insist on using wireless unnecessarily, when a cable is simpler and more reliable.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I totally agree.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I have three drills:

1. One like what you describe

1. A brace

2. An electric drill (I used to have two, a smaller one and a bigger one, but the smaller one died)
Reply to
Ken Blake

As do I.

Reply to
Ken Blake

In alt.windows7.general message , Thu, 21 May 2015 10:22:56, Char Jackson posted:

The OP is referring to travel in Europe, so you should either quote European prices or include the cost of transporting the drill and any necessary adaptors.

On the other hand, many Europeans already own drills, and many more have friends who are skilled drill users.

Indeed, I myself once purchased, at work, an item of US-built equipment through a UK importer and then wanted an extra hole at the back of it. On being informed, the importer immediately offered to send me, FOC, some ready-to-install UK holes.

Reply to
Dr J R Stockton

USB dual band 2G / 5G (~$30-$50) on a long USB cable extender so you can position/rotate for the best reception. See:

formatting link

Replace the router with Amped R20000G ($120 amazon) high power router or equivalent. I have this one and it is good.

Unfortunately range extenders (e.g. AP20000G) have problems! Do not use. I tried and some of my WiFi devices will NOT connect through the range extenders. So I had to reposition my R20000G. Remember the days of TV rabbit ears? They're back ... lol

battery drain if it works.

Reply to
OldeGuye

I have put Ethernet cables in our ceiling that go from our router to my study and my son's bedroom.

We both use de4sktop computers that did not come with wireless adapters.

I also have a laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite) that does have a wireless adapter, but but I use it in the sitting room where there is no Ethernet cable and its WiFi connection wasw always showing weak or no signal. When travelling, it's WiFi connections were unreliable more that 5m in direct line of sight with no obstables from the transmitter, so I bought a Bear Extender and can now use it in our sitting room, and when we stayed with my wife's cousin in Windhoek, and stayed in a cottage 20 metres from their house, and the signal had to go through not one but three brick walls, it worked just fine.

It also worked in a guesthouse in the Okavango Delta, where the cottage we were in was about 40 metres from the main building. I doubt that they'd have fancied me drilling holes in the intervening walls and stringing Ethernet cables for a two-night stay.

Reply to
Steve Hayes

Werner Obermeier wrote in mj31lm$g36$ snipped-for-privacy@solani.org:

Here is an update.

I bought the Ubiquiti Nanobeam M2 radio, which can extend WiFi more than a few miles, so, it should enough power.

formatting link

I didn't have any choice for countries other than the US, Canada, or PR, so, I chose to set it up for the US:

formatting link

I'm logged in, right now, to that nanobeam radio at its default IP address of 192.168.1.20 with the default ubnt/ubnt login/password:

formatting link

Right now, I'm stuck as to how to set up the radio so that it rebroadcasts its Internet signal.

I just opened a new thread in alt.internet.wireless to ask for help getting past the current setup hurdle!

formatting link
"Need help extending home wifi using Ubiquiti nanobeam M2 radio"

Reply to
Werner Obermeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.