this is driving me nuts--noob alert

I have three machines running xp (2 with pro and one with home), with a netgear m814v2 router set up as an AP (192.168.0.254), hooked to a dw6000 satellite modem (192.168.01, as it has DCHP automaticaly turned on and I can't change it) . The two pro machines are on a lan, and I can ping the router from both and both work well with fixed addresses (192.168.0.3 and .4).

The problem is the xp home machine. It is wireless (blitzz usbg adapter bwu713).

The router has LOS to the usb adapter in this fashion: I extended the adapter via a IOGEAR usb extender that uses cat 5e cable to run it outside for the LOS (attatched to the side of the house and assembled inside a homemade dish/antenna booster), and a powered usb hub to boost the power/signal between the IOGEAR and the computer (as I discovered after diligent search that some dell machines do not provide enough power to the usb ports for this to work properly without a power boost). The router is also on an outside wall and protected from the elements.

The machine can find the adapter if I disassmble the dish and plug directly into the usb port (but can't find any networks of course-- the machine is across the street and there are several walls between), but gave me 'malfunctioned device' when using IOGEAR extender without the powered hub. After attatching the hub, xp claims it is an unknown device, and no drivers are loaded and I've tried pointing to the installation file manually. I can't get a connection to set up an address.

I have all firewalls turned off. Have I just wasted a month of futzing and a fistful of money? Do I need to ditch the whole usb route and get a pci card with a detatchble antenna?

help!

Reply to
revek1
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.