X10 is driving me nuts!

I have a strange problem that I'm hoping someone can help with.

After 3 years of (almost!) flawless operation, my X10 setup has virtually stopped working.

There have been no recent additions to the appliances in the house however I have ascertained that it is the transformer of a 4 year old Sony LCD TV in the kitchen that is causing the problems.

I've tried an filter on the TV but with no luck - every time I plug it in, 80% of the X10 devices stop working.

Apart from "bin the TV" do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
MikeG
Loading thread data ...

A couple of things come to mind...

First, I am surprised that a filter didn't help. I noticed that you are in the UK, so be sure that is a filter designed to block signals in the X10 frequency band. You might also try two in series for extra attenuation.

That "transformer" is probably a switching power supply if it causes problems for X10 communications. You can read about a particularly nasty device here:

formatting link
Before you trash the TV, you should look for an alternate "transformer" with similar ratings (same voltage and the same or higher current rating). If you can find an older unit that really used a power transformer, you can be sure that will not interfere with X10 communications.

Years ago the worst problem we had with X10 communication was caused by a Sony XBR TV. That was my first introduction to the world of X10 filters. Too bad manufacturers don't consider the other electrical devices they share the powerlines with.

FYI, I have a complete X10 troubleshooting series at:

formatting link
Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Hi Jeff,

I received the XTBIIR unit and have it installed. First, it's really a nice piece of work from a design and construction standpoint. I was running some pre and post tests and was wondering if you could explain what I was seeing on the ESM-1. I have a light controlled by an X10 motion detector. The ESM-1 showed a single 5 bar signal from the motion sensor, but when I tripped the light using a palm pad controller I see what looks like two signals, a 2 bar signal followed by a 5 bar signal. What's the difference between the two signal sources. These tests were done pre XTB install and I have no other repeaters or couplers installed, just a CM11A. After the XTB install I still see the same one signal, two signal difference between the two sources, although at a higher level. The single signal is a full 10 bar, and no doubt more, and the two signal reading is 8 bars and 10 + bars.

I am glad you mentioned in the instructions that installing the power cord would be easier if the board was removed from the case. I would have been more hesitent to do so other wise, but it certainly was a great deal easier. I don't supose you know of a rubber plug for the RJ socket. Since it's installed on the top of the unit, I would think it should be covered to protect it against dust and dirt if it's not being used.

Thanks Dennis Raher

Reply to
news groups

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the feedback.

The two-level signal is normally what you see when a repeater boosts the 2nd half of a command. With no repeaters active in your home, I can think of several other possibilities:

If you have multiple RF transceivers, it is possible that one might relay the command first, followed by the second (particularly if that is a RR501). If the second is closer to the ESM1, its signal would be stronger.

Another possibility is that the first command is triggering a macro in the CM11A. Again, if the CM11A is closer to the ESM1, its signal would appear stronger.

The last idea I have is that there might be a repeater at a nearby home that shares the same utility transformer.

For two different signal levels, there must be two different sources.

I am not aware of any plug for a RJ receptacle. If you want to keep the dust out, how about simply a piece of electrical tape?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

get a better filter. maybe even stick in a UPS.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Just lop off the end from a phone cord and use just the plug.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Hi Jeff,

I do indeed have several RF transceivers, and one of them is a RR501. Now that you mention it, it does make sense that the signal from the palm pad is stronger then that from the motion sensor and was also picked up by the RR501 unit.

Reply to
news groups

Hi Bill,

I did think about that, but hated the idea of hacking up a perfectly good cord. I guess I will use a piece of tape for now.

Reply to
news groups

Well, you CAN buy the bare plugs alone. But I figured since everyone's probably got SEVERAL spare telephone cords lying around this would be a cheaper/easier solution. A plug might be only a few pennies, but the fuel or shipping costs to get it would cost a lot more.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I thought he was asking for a rubber plug to seal the entire hole. Many of us probably have a bag of regular plugs to make up our own cables, but I am not aware of any rubber plugs for RJ sockets. A small piece of tape will do the job.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

formatting link

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'm afraid I have to challenge the assertion that the Sony is main source of the trouble since it's possible but not likely it's suddenly gone loco on you after four years. A more likely scenario is that it's interacting badly with some newer piece of equipment.

For a long time, I "certified" new electrical gear of any kind against a powerline signal analyzer to make sure it didn't emit noise in the X-10 band or that it didn't attenuate the X-10 transmission. I came to find that while single devices didn't cause signal sucking or interference, two appliances of *just* the right type can cause a whole heap of trouble.

Has the Sony been moved to a new location? There has to be some other factor that accounts for the Sony not interfering for all these years and suddenly beginning to do so now.

There is another possibility: There's a chance that aging has caused the Sony to misbehave. I've had fluorescent workshop fixtures "pass" my certification only to emit incredible amounts of noise once the bulbs began to blacken.

I'd try putting a second filter in the setup. Then I might try relocating the X-10 transmitter to an outlet that is not "in the line of sight" of the Sony and the panel. The closer to the panel, the better.

What sort of X-10 devices do you use and where are they located in relation to the TV set? A central controller?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.