Dell Laptop confuses Linksys Wireless G card as a Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card ?

My new Dell Latitude 610 has a built in "Dell Wireless 1470 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card".

I have a Linksys Wireless G card from when I used it with my old laptop - so I thought I would configure is as a backup in case the internal starting acting up.

When I plugged in the Linksys card, the Dell laptop thought it was a "Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card". It worked fine. I then changed the driver so that the Linksys card used the Linksys drivers.......the built in "Dell Wireless 1470 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card" stopped working, and the Linksys Wireless-G using the Linksys drivers also stopped working.

Rolling back the driver for the Linksys Wireless-G card, so that the system thinks it is a "Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card" fixed everything so both the internal Dell card and the external Linksys using the Dell drivers all was working again.

Anyone seen this?

Reply to
riggor99999
Loading thread data ...

Well, let's see:

ADMTek Agere (Lucent) Airgo Aironet Atheros Atmel Broadcom InProComm Intel (Centrino) Intersil/Frisbee IPW Marvel NWN (3com) Orinoco Philips (Centrino) Prism (Harris/Intersil/etc) Ralink Realtek Symbol Texas Instruments Zydas

Probably a few more that I forgot. Anyway, more than three chip vendors.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I haven't seen that but i believe there are only three wireless chip manufacturers in the world and everyone's products are packagings of those three's. Since Dell doesn't really make any technology, chances are those two are the exact same thing, just marketed and attached differently. This was common with modems back when only two chip manufacturers existed. A large range of modem drivers from various manufacturers would work perfectly well with any one modem.

If two devices use the same driver and you remove one of them you remove the software files that support both. I've seen this with printers. Somebody removes an HP4 driver and all their HP4 printers stop working. I think that's why both broke.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Well, he said "manufacturers". I'm not convinced that those are all unique manufacturers (in fact, ipw is "Intel"). I've certainly heard that Orinocos can be based on different chipsets.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

True, and guilty as charged. I got lazy and just went to the Linux wireless driver site, and plagerized the list of manufacturers. I also added a few and added some notes. It gets rather messy when a manufacturer choses an RF chip from one chip vendor, and a MAC chip from another. To get picky, some of the aformentioned use contract chip foundries, which are the real "manufacturers". Perhaps chipset

Some drivel:

- Intel 2100 series Centrino uses wireless chips from Philips.

- IPW is Intel ProSet Wireless starting with 2200.

- Orinocco is actually a mess of manufacturers (in order) from: Wavelan, Orinoco, Lucent, Agere, Avaya, and Proxim which use Prism chipsets from Harris, Intersil, Conexant, Frisbee, and Javelin.

- Symbol uses various chip foundries.

- NWN is "No Wires Needed" in Netherlands. I think (not sure) they're now part of Alvarion/Breezecom.

- Aironet is owned by Cisco.

Anyway, there are certainly more than 3 chipset manufacturers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have seen this. I had to physically remove my built in Dell 1300 card in order to get an external Linksys card to work.

Reply to
Fman99

Thanks.

Question: why did you want the Linksys over the built in Dell? Did you have problems with the Dell?

I had two external cards that I was using with my old laptop - a Linksys and a D-Link. When I got the new laptop, I tested the new cards just in case I needed them as a backup. The D-Link worked and had no conflicts. The Linksys had the conflict.

My plan is to use the built in card, and use the D-Link as a backup.

Reply to
riggor99999

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.