Mini PCI wireless NIC question

Pardon me for asking this one, as it probably has been asked before, but is there a difference among the different wireless mini PCI cards? I have a socket for one on my Inspiron 5100, but don't know if I have to get a particular brand, one particular for the laptop, etc. I know I want

802.11g. With desktops it's easy, I just don't know for sure about laptops as many components are proprietary, but all of the cards I've seen for different laptops appear to have the same connector.

Thanks

Reply to
GMach3
Loading thread data ...

Any MiniPCI should work. Don't skimp... make sure you get a reputable brand... it's worth it in the long run.

Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

get the Intel board, Dell fit them.

Reply to
Glittery Gary

Any mini-pci wireless card should fit and work. You need a separate antenna for 802.11a . If you only have one antenna, you should get a mini-pci supporting only 802.11b and 802.11g, although you can get a card with 802.11a and turn off the 802.11a portion.

The Intel 2200bg and Intel 2915abg (same drivers) have driver problems. I'd avoid them.

Reply to
Jerry Park

I had a couple of Dlink DWL 650G(?) desktop PCI adaptors lying around with the miniPCI card under the shielding plate. I popped them out, reworked the flylead which was soldered on, into a dipole antenna and then just used that in a couple of laptops.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.