Fitting a mini pci wireless to Toshiba Satellite

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite 1400. It has a panel on the bottom that apparently can hold a wireless LAN mini pci card.

How can I tell if the laptop has a built in antenna? Will there be a seperate cable or will the necessary contacts be brought out onto the edge contacts?

Thanks.

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...

if you remove the panel on the underside of the laptop and have a look you should find a couple of cables with connectors that will plug into the mini-pci card. You may find the cables tucked away somewhere inside the enclosed area.

On my Dell I have one black cable and one white cable which attach to the Intel Pro-Wireless card.

If you don't have these cables then I suspect Tosh decided to save a little money and not fit them.

Have heard of people elsewhere on the Wireless newsgroups who in the same situation fitted their own antennae however I have no idea how successful that would be. In my view you would have to be fairly skilled in disassembling the laptop case and especially the screen as I understand that most wireless antennae are fitted to run up one side of the display screen.

-- JasonB

Reply to
jasonb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.