Strong Signal Cannot Find Server

OK, here's the deal...

I have read many suggestions to problems similar to this, but none have worked. Matbe it's because the solutions werent specific to my machine. Any help would be appreciated:

I am running XP home on my desktop and XP Pro on my notebook. I recently added a WRT54G for wireless access and am having trouble with my notebook. I have configured the router and everything seems to be working fine. My notebook always has a signal strength of 'Excellent'. The problem is that I cannot access any web pages. I continually get 'Cannot find server or DNS error' messages. I can successfully ping the router, so I know that there is a connection there. My feeble attempt at a diagnosis is that it is not a connection problem but a settings problem on the notebook. Is there anyone that can help. This seems to be a fairly common question in this group. One would imply that there is an easy solution right???

Reply to
ripdoozer
Loading thread data ...

Incorrect proxy set up perhaps?

Reply to
CWatters

It is most likely a DNS problem. Are you using DHCP (dynamic IP addresses), or do you have a static IP?

Open a command prompt window, type in the command 'ipconfig /all' and post the results here.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

I am using DHCP. All settings are the same as my desktop aside from the ip address (which ends in 101 instead of 100)

Also, I tried to connect the notebook directly and it still wouldn't load any pages. The notebook belongs to my school district (I am a teacher) and worked with my home router at one point. Then something went horribly wrong...

Larry F> > OK, here's the deal...

do you have a static IP?

results here.

Reply to
ripdoozer

I am using DHCP. All settings are the same as my desktop aside from the ip address (which ends in 101 instead of 100)

Also, I tried to connect the notebook directly and it still wouldn't load any pages. The notebook belongs to my school district (I am a teacher) and worked with my home router at one point. Then something went horribly wrong...

Larry F> > OK, here's the deal...

do you have a static IP?

results here.

Reply to
ripdoozer

Oh piece of cake then.. Just have one of your students fix it in few seconds, and buy them a bag of chips (or cupcakes if you actually want to give them cake for a piece of cake).... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Just as an easy experiment: what happens when you briefly disable Windows firewall?

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

many schools use a proxy server, for filtering, make sure proxy server is set to none... or whatever your ISP wants.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
lars

I have disabled the proxy which is nromally used, I changed this setting in the LAN settings under Internet options. And the firewall settings are off due to the fact that the district servers filter all internet traffic. This one I set under 'Internet Connection Firewall' under the Advanced tab of my wireless network connection window.It doesn't seem to be either of them. Am I changing these settings in the right places? I installed Firefox and am experiencing the same problems.

lars wrote:

Reply to
ripdoozer

When you say you "added a WRT54G for wireless access" do you mean you replaced an existing router with the WRT54G or added this as an additional router?

Reply to
CWatters

I previously did not have wireless access. This is my first go-round with wireless. All seetings are the same bewteen my desktop and notebook in regards to ipconfig/all. The only difference is the ip addresses between the two. When I plugged in the notebook directly, it still wouldn't load any pages. Any ideas?

Reply to
ripdoozer

On 12 Jul 2006 10:11:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

From the laptop (notebook), Run the following: %COMSPEC% /K TRACERT 64.233.167.99 Copy the result window to the clipboard, and paste it into a post here.

Reply to
John Navas

Update FYI.

I discovered the problem. My laptop had a policy in plce that told it to look to a DNS server that was specific to my school network. I went into the registry and deleted that DNS address and voila! up and running thatnk to all who attemped to help me out.

Reply to
ripdoozer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.