SSID broadcast disabled - wireless connection lost

I have two laptops connected wirelessly to the internet through a Netgear WPN824 wireless router. The configuration has been set to disable SSID broadcast, and has been working fine for months. Recently one of the laptops lost it's wireless connection, so I hooked up the ethernet cable and enabled SSID broadcast. I then disconnected the ethernet cable, waited awhile, and the wireless connection returned. So I then disabled the SSID broadcast, and everything seems to be back to normal and working wirelessly the way I want.

Is there some setting that I should change on the laptop to keep me from losing the wireless connection while SSID broadcast is set to disabled? This laptop is only used wirelessly at this access point.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
GWK
Loading thread data ...

"GWK" hath wroth:

1. Some wireless client managers, such as whatever you're using on your laptop, don't like to connect to AP's that don't broadcast the SSID.
  2. Windoze Wireless Zero config has a priority list of automatic connections. You may want to move your SSID to the top of the list. If you haven't saved the connection, do so or it won't auto connect. It's also very easy for WZC to magically change for "automatic" to "manual" for the connection. Check that.
  3. Did you check for updates for your WPN824 firmware?

I had a hell of a time with a WPN824 v1 until I updated the firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes. I think that I saw that before I "fixed" the problem. My SSID was designated as "manual" and there was another SSID called "wireless" that was designated as automatic. I deleted the "wireless" SSID, which made my SSID the only one there. After I "fixed" everything, my SSID changed to "automatic".

Not sure if I saved the connection. How does one do that in XP?

I will check that out. Thanks for link.

Reply to
GWK

"GWK" hath wroth:

You don't. Every time you connect to an access point, the connection settings are saved automagically by WZC. If the connection is listed in the list of SSID's, it's saved. You can edit it to make any necessary changes.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.