wrt54GL wireless wont let me connect!

Im having a problem setting up my wireless to allow connection. I had a netgear wgr614 v6 setup and it was working flawlessly. I have two other computers hooked up to the router by cable and they are both working fine and my connection to the internet seems to be working great. I thought I had the wireless set up ok but apparently I am missing something.

I have my settings setup as follows.

Wireless network mode = mixed ssid = whatever i set it as. :) wireless channel 11 ssid broadcast is enabled.

(i have the status: SES Inactive) have no clue what that is.

security is set to wpa personal tkip (shared key) I set on the router and the pc. default group key renewal.

mac filter disabled.

the advanced wireless settings i left all as default.

Its broadcasting the ssid so it appears to be up and running. My laptop has an intel proset/wireless card in it and im using its driver although i have tried to use windows xp's wireless network management to get it working and had no luck with that either. With the intel proset wireless utility, my router shows up but when i hit the (configure) button to set it up for connection it just sits there like its not even trying to connect at all. It doesnt even give me a chance to set it up. My router does however show up in the details menu.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on??

Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to try to get all of the pertinent information.

TIA.

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Dave,

I just purchased my WRT54GL a few days ago and it was a bit a pain. I have an exiting netgear wired router and if you plug the WRT54GL in to any exiting network that is not using 192.169.1.1 as an IP, the WRT54GL will configure itself via DCHP, lovely... My issue is using WPA(2) is appears that my MAC powerbook G4 needed rebooting to reset all of the airport cards settings... So once you do get it set up --do F with it.. And for RTFM, linksys's doc are useless. I had to surf and surf to figure out....

-Mike

Dave wrote:

Reply to
MikeH

I dont know what happened, but after a couple of reboots of the laptop, a change in shared keys ( I was using all random characters and switched to text characters only ) and a bit of messing with the drivers in the laptop, it just all of the suddon started working. I have no idea if the router will except all random characters as a pass phrase or not. I was playing with too many different things at once to try to get it working that I have no idea what the one thing that got it to finally work was. I hate it when that happens. At any rate, it appears to be working for now. Eventually I want to move to openwrt. We'll see how ambitious i am.

Reply to
Dave

On 15 Jul 2006 08:01:02 -0700, "MikeH" wrote: : Dave, : : I just purchased my WRT54GL a few days ago and it was a bit a pain. I : have an exiting netgear wired router and if you plug the WRT54GL in to : any exiting network that is not using 192.169.1.1 as an IP, the WRT54GL : will configure itself via DCHP, lovely...

That's at best misleading and at worst wrong.

By default, the router's LAN side uses 192.168.1.1 with its DHCP server enabled. To a DHCP client plugged into any of its LAN ports, it will assign an address in the 192.168.1.0 range. To configure the router, you then point your browser to 192.168.1.1 and log in with "admin" as the password.

By default, the router's WAN port acts as a DHCP client, and will obtain an address from any DHCP server on the WAN. But you can't get in that way to configure it, because WAN-side management is disabled by default.

Be glad it's a WRT54G and not a WAP54G. Linksys access points are a lot harder to configure because they default to a static address and have no DHCP server. Since they have to be configured before they can use DHCP as a client, you have to set your computer to a static address in the same range. They give you a CD that's supposed to help you work around that glitch, but my experience is that the CD fails to find the AP about half the time.

Reply to
Robert Coe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.