wireless kills wired access

Hello,

In my house, I have had a linksys non-wireless router with no troubles for a long time. I bought a wireless router, and plugged in into the wall (which plugs into the wired one eventuslly) and use the wireless for my laptop. The laptop works fine through the wireless. Never a problem. But the desktop (using the nonwireless) will lose the internet after a while. If I do a

ifconfig /renew

the internet access comes right back and works great, for a while, then goes out again. If I unplug the wilreless router, then I never have any trouble with the internet.

Anyone have any ideas?

thx,

Thomas

Reply to
tpmeyer
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Yep. You have 2 DHCP servers running, one on each router. Bad idea.

You don't need the unspecified model Linksys non-wireless router as your unspecified wireless router does everything you need. Unplug the non-wireless router, move the cables around, and it should work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff,

You are undoubtedly correct about me inadvertently running two DHCP servers. What you say about not needing the 2nd router is almost true. The reasons I still need the old router (linksys BEFSR11) are:

1) It is owned by my internet provider and I don't know the username/password for the pppoE, nor for the router 2) It is in the basement, and I want the wireless router (linksys WRT54G) on the 2nd floor.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to convince the WRT54G to not be a DHCP server.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

Thomas cried out

Run it in access point mode

Reply to
Rosco

I'm still having trouble. I'm not trying to confuse matters, but now I'm using a netgear WPN824 instead of the WRT54G. Shouldn't matter, but I mention this in case it does.

The wired router (BEFSR11) is running DHCP on the 192.168.1.X subnet.

I connected my laptop directly to my netgear WPN824, and set it up to have a static IP address of 192.168.1.188, and turned off DHCP.

Then I connected the WPN824 to the BELSR11, LAN port to LAN port (the separate WAN port is empty on the WPN824)

If I plug my laptop into the WPN824 using a network cable, then I can also connect to it wirelessly. If I then disconnect the wire, the internet continues to function. But I cannot initiate a wireless connection unless the computer is plugged into the network. It sees the wireless, and says that the signal strength is excellent, but fails on "acquiring network address", which it has to get from the BELSR11 through the WPN824. Why it would fail on this, yet have no trouble when the computer is ALSO connected via a network cable is a mystery to me.

Reply to
Thomas

try connecting the wan on the wpn824 to the lan on the befsr11, should work flawlessly

Thomas cried out

Reply to
Rosco

I connected the WAN port of the WPN824 to the LAN on the BEFSR11, and in that configuration, I couldn't even connect through the wired portion of the WPN824. Maybe this particular router doesn't support that configuration.

If I take the BEFSR1 out of the equation to simplify things, the following behavior occurs:

WITH the cable connecting the laptop to a LAN port of the WPN824, I can type in the IP address of the router and get the configuration page

WITHOUT the cable, when I type in the IP address of the router, the computer cannot find the router. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising, but it seems to be the crux of my problem.

Reply to
Thomas

I replaced the Netgear WPN824 with my wireless WRT54G, and was able to successfully put this router into gateway mode with the following routes:

0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 LAN & Wireless 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 LAN & Wireless

and everything works fine with the WRT54G. (i.e. I plug it into my BEFSR11 router LAN port to LAN port, and then I have a working wireless network in my house)

I couldn't figure out how to put the WPN824 into gateway mode. I tried adding this static route: # Active Name Destination Gateway

1 Yes TOLINKSYS 192.168.1.0 192.168.1.1

But it didn't seem to help. So my goal of getting my new wireless WRT824 onto my network so I connect to it wirelessly remains out of reach. I think the suggestion to "run it in access point mode" was essentially correct, but the question is How?

Reply to
Thomas

Probably just ensure that it's not running a DHCP service and just use the LAN ports to connect everything up and NOT the WAN port.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Hello all, I finally got the problem resolved by:

1) running DHCP servers on BOTH routers 2) setting the WPN824 address to 192.168.0.1 to avoid conflict with the BEFSR11 router whose address is 192.168.1.1 3) connecting the two routers together using the WAN of the WPN824 and the LAN of the BEFSR11

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reply to
Thomas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.