Speed problem for wireless network?

Any particular reason for not disclosing the model of cordless phone or SMC router?

Several 5GHz cordless phones have the base unit transmit on 2.4GHz. Such cross band devices also exist with 2.4/900MHz such as the Panasonic Giga-Range. Your SMC is probably getting trashed only by the 2.4Ghz from the base unit. If it's a frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) base, then moving to a different channel on the SMC will not help.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

My wireless network is running 802.11B on one laptop. Everything seems OK until I start using the 5Ghz cordless phone. It still working but very slow and even I put it right beside the SMC wireless router, the network connection show it is connected at 1 Mbps.

Does the 5Ghz phone will affect the 802.11B ( which suppose is 2.4Ghz) wireless network?

Thanks!

Reply to
Ray

Well, I screwed up slightly.

The Panasonic GigaRange Extreme base unit transits on 2.4Ghz and receives on 900MHz.

Phones that use Atmel dualband chipsets have the base unit transmits on 5.6GHz and receives on 2.4GHz. Therefore, it's the handsets that are causing the 2.4GHz interference, not the base unit as I claimed.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The cordless phone that I'm using is UNIDEN TCX800 and I can't find anywhere in the spec saying about 2.4Ghz. All it say just 5.8Ghz handset.

Does anyone use this phone with 802.11B wireless network?

Thanks!

formatting link

Reply to
Ray

Skimming through the docs, it appears that the TCX800 is 5.8GHz only. In theory, that should not interfere with your 802.11b/g network in any manner, unless they really are using 2.4GHz in the cordless phone.

Could you supply the FCC ID number from the serial number tag so I can look it up in the type certification test results for the type of radio used? It will probably be AMW-xxxxxxxx or AES-xxxxxxxxx.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.