SMC Barricade Slow

I've got an SMC Barricade 7004AWBR wireless router with a cable internet connection. Lately, download speeds to my desktop computer connected by network cable are painfully slow (60 Kbps) but upload speeds are normal (500Kbps).

When I connect wirelessly to the router with a notebook computer, my download speeds are in the 2000Kbps range. Normal.

I've tried bypassing the router and connecting the desktop directly to the cable modem and DL speeds are 2000 so it has to be something in the router. I've tried all the different ports on the router with no joy.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Rod Dahl
Loading thread data ...

Maybe you have a dud cable.

Which cable did you use when you bypassed the router, the cable from the modem to the router, or the cable from the router to the computer?

If you used the cable from the modem to the router, check out the other cable and see if you still get good download speeds.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Thanks for the reply. I thought about it being a bad cable and have tried two different ones....When I bypassed the router and my DL speeds returned to normal, I had plugged the cable from the desktop pooter directly into the modem instead of the router. It seems strange to me that my upload speeds are normal (500Kbps) when my download speeds are dogging around 100Kbps.

I've had this router for at least 3 years and never had a problem....have the latest firmware. I've done the power everything down, shut down computer....power everything back up routine several times. I haven't done anything to change any of the router settings to screw this thing up either.

I've also spoken to SMC tech support but it's going to have to be paid support. And I couldn't understand a word the tech guy said (India, of course).

Reply to
Rod Dahl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.