Shared wireless Internet connection and VoIP adapter

X-No-Archive: yes

Greetings:

I have a question that I need some help with regarding sharing a wireless Internet connection and using VoIP, let me explain what I am would like to do. My sister who lives across the street from me has a high speed (cable) Internet connection, she has a Linksys WRT54G wired/wireless router and connects her PC directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, she told me that if I buy a wireless card for my PC that we could share the high speed (cable) Internet connection and split the cost, sounds good so I bought a wireless card, everything is working fine.

I want to also use VoIP in my house so I downloaded the CounterPath X-Lite softphone and configured it with help from my VoIP provider Teliax and it worked but I was not happy with the quality of the calls, I was told that a hardware adapter would give me better results than a softphone would so I purchased a Linksys SPA-1001 adapter, the problem is that I can not get the Linksys SPA-1001 adapter to register with Teliax.

Both my sister and I are running Windows XP on our PC's, the Linksys WRT54G wired/wireless router at her house assigns us IP address via DHCP, I sould mention that my PC has two network cards installed, one is the wireless card that I use to connect to her Linksys WRT54G wired/wireless router across the street and the other is a wired network card that I have the Linksys SPA-1001 adapter connected to with a crossover cable.

I would appreciate any help with this, I am thinking perhaps I need a router of my own (I have a Linksys WRT54GC that I could use), maybe it has something to do with ICS or bridging the connections, or that Windows XP just needs to go (I have been looking at Ubuntu anyhow), then again maybe it can not even be done?

Thanks - Linda

Reply to
lvoci
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.