speed of internet connection for VoIP

my internet connection isn't always the best, but I'd like to do VoIP. Is there a test to see if the connection is fast enough?

[thufir@arrakis ~]$ ping
formatting link
PING
formatting link
(66.102.7.147) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 66.102.7.147: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=60.0 ms 64 bytes from 66.102.7.147: icmp_seq=1 ttl=244 time=58.0 ms 64 bytes from 66.102.7.147: icmp_seq=2 ttl=244 time=91.2 ms 64 bytes from 66.102.7.147: icmp_seq=3 ttl=244 time=60.3 ms 64 bytes from 66.102.7.147: icmp_seq=4 ttl=244 time=59.7 ms 64 bytes from 66.102.7.147: icmp_seq=5 ttl=244 time=91.3 ms

---

formatting link
ping statistics ---

6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5004ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 58.028/70.143/91.371/14.996 ms, pipe 2 [thufir@arrakis ~]$

this was ok, but sometimes I get 25% packet loss, or higher.

thanks,

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir
Loading thread data ...

The variance (58-90ms) is not great.

Neither is that.

I have 300ms ping times to my VoIP server but there is no packet loss and the ping times are extremely stable. VoIP works great for me.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Here is one:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeremy

formatting link
and select Speed Test. You will need Java enabled.

Requirements for a call using G711 is approx 80k in both directions.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Miguel Cruz wrote: ...

What's wrong with the variance? Does that mean that packet1 might arrive after packet2, something like that? I suppose that happens no matter what, so maybe if the variance is too over too great a range then...?

I did some of those java tests, and I think VoIP will work in my case, at least sometimes. There may be times when it won't work, but that's ok for me.

-Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

John S. wrote: ...

This connection is wi-fi. The router, an SMC7004VWBR has a broadband (cable) connection. This computer uses an asus wl-330g to connect to the router. The VoIP would be routed through this computer. (Or, the wl-330g might plug directly into a hub, and the VoIP adapter to the hub, I'm not sure yet.) It's hard to pinpoint the problem areas with regards to reliability and performance. It might be the cable network, it might be the wireless connection, it's hard to say. It doesn't have to be super reliable, I don't like phones anyhow ;)

-Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

Basically if you have DSL or Cable, you are fast enough.

Reliability is another issue.

Reply to
John S.

Dear Friend,

Most of VoIP Service providers require fast Internet access.

But with Ubifone (

formatting link
) you can start at dialup speed, meaning from 56 KB.

Kind Regards,

Sam.

------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 4876 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ubifone

Thanks, but I think that I'll be able to make it work with regular VoIP.

-Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.