Roaming between Linksys WAP54G APs works!

Nice try. It really depends on the two coverage areas and wireless client implementation.

If there's a gap where there's no signal between the two access points, almost any client will properly start hunting for the a better connection.

If there's some overlap between the two coverage areas, then the client will start to hunt for a better connection as soon as the signal from the original access points disappears.

Where it screws up is there's substantial overlapping coverage between two access points. For example, putting both access points in the same room will cause the client to select one of them and hang onto it forever.

The client also plays a bit part in the puzzle. Some implementations will hang onto a weak connection long past the point where it should have given up and started hunting for a better access point. The idea is that for moving clients (i.e. mobiles, PDA's and VoIP phones) one would want to extend the dropout time so that the connection doesn't timeout and disconnect. Such long disconnect delays are also helpful in dealing with intermittent interference, where one would want to recover the original connection after the interference disappears.

On the other foot, there are clients that will disconnect and switch at the slightest provocation or signal loss. Intel keeps optimizing (juggling) this timeout in various versions of their Proset Centrino drivers. It makes roaming easy, but is hell on maintaining a connection while moving.

There's no optimum answer. Methinks client software vendors should give the customer the option of tinkering with the disconnect timeout, but everyone seems to be waiting for 802.11r which will allegedly fix the fast roaming problem, mostly for VoIP applications.

Removing the antennas created the "gap" I described in my first scenario above.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I've just been fiddling with roaming between Linksys WAP54G (V2, FW

2.08) APs with a separate router, and it seems to work pretty well.

Even with WPA-PSK/TKIP security turned on, getting close to the "other" AP causes the laptop to sync up to that one and continue passing bits. I've tried it when playing an MP3 off a file server on the LAN, and it does glitch briefly while switching APs, but it's not horrible for Email and Web use.

I've got both APs on the same channel, with the same SSID and identical keys.

I've got a Dell Latitude D600 laptop with an Intel 2200BG Mini-PCI card (9.0.2.25 drivers) running XP-Pro SP2 with all the latest patches.

The wisdom here has been that this doesn't work, is there something in some of the latest drivers/patches/firmware that made this work, or am I missing something?

When I removed the antennas it took quite a while to sync up to the "near" AP, but with all antennas in place it seems to sync up without requiring that the "far" AP get out of range...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Both of these are APs that I can see and use independently throughout my house. The client will switch while it still has a usable signal to the "far" AP.

This is probably what's happening to me, though in my case it's a feature! 8*)

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

They should really be on non overlapping channels such as 1, 6 or 11.

It should work, just sometimes not as well as hoped. Jeff sums it up just fine.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.