Roaming between Cisco 1242 and WS2000 AP300

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a configuration that will allow a mobile device to roam from a Cisco AP to Symbol AP? Currently my mobile device will lose pings once it roams to the other AP. But the pings will succeed when it roams back to its original AP. The WS2000 and 1242 are attached through a Catalyst 500 switch. Or are they simply not compatible?

Thanks

Reply to
kfriday
Loading thread data ...

You should be ~ Can anyone tell me if there is a configuration that will allow a mobile ~ device to roam from a Cisco AP to Symbol AP? Currently my mobile device ~ will lose pings once it roams to the other AP. But the pings will ~ succeed when it roams back to its original AP. The WS2000 and 1242 are ~ attached through a Catalyst 500 switch. Or are they simply not ~ compatible? ~ ~ Thanks

You should be able to roam between dissimilar APs given the following:

- APs should be configured with the same SSID

- APs should be configured the same authentication mechanism, and with compatible encryption schemes

- APs are in the same subnet (L2 LAN)

Upon such a roam, the switch will have to learn somehow that the client's MAC address has moved from one AP's port to the other. If the client is continuously sourcing traffic as it moves, that should do it. When you say that your client is losing pings - who is initiating the pings, the wireless client or a station on the wired side? In the latter case, this should work OK (although it would be normal to lose several pings upon the roam), in the former case, it should not work until a frame sourced by the wireless client appears on the new AP's switchport (or until the original bridge table entry for the client MAC ages out.)

Different clients will perform better or worse when roaming.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.