Reverse Engineering Wireless Network

Hey All: This year in the dorms they have decided to create a wireless network to send out internet. Unfortunately, that means a lot of issues for me with drivers for wireless pci cards in my desktop, etc. I have a Linksys WRT-54GS router. I have heard it is possible to reverse-engineer the router so that it will receive the wireless signal itself, and transmit it through its own ethernet ports into my computer. Does anybody know how to do this? I am open to installing alternate custom firmwares etc. Thanks for any help, and I can respond with any more info needed!

--Databoy2k

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
databoy2k
Loading thread data ...

If they have opted for wireless instead of hardwire, then they should give you all the assistance you need in configuring your access.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

The internet does not do take out, send out, or deliveries.

Yep. If it were easy, it would be no fun.

Yeah, something like that. What I'm guessing you're trying to accomplish is use the WRT54G as either a wireless client ethernet bridge, or a repeater.

See:

or:

You'll need to verify that the hardware version of your WRT54GS is suitable for running alternative firmware. If it's V5, 6, 7, or 8, forget it. Check the serial number sticker for the hardware version.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.