RALINK RT2500 devices not working together

I have a PCMCIA card with an RT2500 chip in. This comes with the RALINK drivers and utilities. Seems to work O.K. under Win2K apart from when using WEP/PSK.

I impulse bought a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter F5D7050UK because it was under £20 in John Lewis.

I installed it as instructed on my Win2K portable with the RALINK card already in and working) but couldn't get the Belkin management utility to start.

Once I checked and found they were both using similar chips (RA2500 and RA2500USB) I became suspicious.

I closed down, removed the RALINK card and restarted.

The Belkin utility then worked fine and I could configure the card.

Subject to further testing, this seems to me a major bug.

I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to have two active wireless devices on the same system at the same time.

For instance, I might want to bridge between two wireless networks.

Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts
Loading thread data ...

you might be interested...

formatting link
down to Virtual WiFi go there

Reply to
bumtracks

Well, yeah, so they are thinking about allowing a single physical card to support multiple network identities. [Sounds slow given the overheads on current WiFi cards]

Much as Ethernet cards do now.

Interesting, for sure.

However I want to have two different physical cards each connected to a different logical network which is hardly rocket science.

Being unable to even manage the second device when the first is active is pretty awful.

So: has anyone else had this problem?

TIA Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.