FAQ for alt.internet.wireless

I've added some introductions and will try to update other stubs.

Thanks

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani
Loading thread data ...

It seems to me that this group is badly in need of a FAQ. I've thrown together a very rough and crude starting template at

Since this is a Wiki, *anyone* and *everyone* can contribute -- so please do!

Reply to
John Navas
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Great -- thanks!

Reply to
John Navas

I added a pointer under "satellite" for the DirecWay specific group and some general & Direcway satellite info.

In terms of actual questions, the one I've seen twice today is "we can't access the internet. we keep getting the DNS error page cannot be found". I've added a section at the bottom for trouble shooting. It would be nice to get some general tips.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Thanks. I guess I'm committed. (Yet another project). I'll throw together something on troubleshooting when I recover from turkey overdose.

I'm not sure if the cellular wireless stuff should be included in alt.internet.wireless. The overwhelming majority of the content on alt.internet.wireless is for home and office wireless networking. Very little for cellular modems, satellite, Ricochet, and WISP services. Methinks it should be seperate. May I suggest you reduce the cellular section?

Duz WikiBooks allow imbedded links to offsite pages on Wikipedia? This could get messy if all the existing 802.11 stuff on Wikipedia needs to be duplicated.

Happy Day of the Turkeys.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Looks like a great start to me John, great idea!

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Yes (not to mention links to related Wikibooks).

Reply to
John Navas

Whist I think the FAQ is a good idea how is a new user to the NG going to know about it? Is it intended that the 1st responder refers them to it or is someone going to post a link say once a month?

In the short time that I have subscribed to this NG I have noticed that people with problems frequently fail to provide the basic information e.g 1.Make model and ver of eqpt. 2.OS and ver used etc Those that have been with this NG a long time will know what info they require and it could be useful if a list of "info to post" was provided in the "Troubleshooting" section.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Give me something to do, I would like to contribute.

I have some bandwidth and ftp space if needed, or can do spell checking, rewording whatever. I am not even too proud to sweep the floor and turn off the lights.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Case

Both, as well as indexing by search engines like Google.

Roll up your sleeves and pitch in! :)

Reply to
John Navas

Not yet. I've been adding content as time permits. It appears to be growing a bit large and will need to be balkanized. John Navas was good enough to provide a good outline framwork. I'll do the radio and some network content.

Neither. I'm trying to make this a real FAQ, which reflects the questions commonly asked including dumb, off topic, irrelivent, and incoherent as posted. I've been trying to answer questions here for about a year and have a fair idea of what are common questions. The plan is every time someone asks:

1. I can't connect.
  2. My WEP key doesn't work.
  3. How do I get more range?
  4. Can I use my neighbors AP without permission?
  5. My connection drops every 10 minutes.
  6. WZC is fighting my client adapter software.
  7. How do I crack WEP/WPA keys?
  8. What's a wireless bridge?
  9. How do I connect to networks with wireless?
  10. How far can I go with wireless?
  11. How do I share folders and printers?
  12. How do I extend my wireless (AP, WDS, repeater)?
  13. etc. the answers will be in the FAQ for me to point to. The prime motivation for me is laziness. I'm tired of answering the same questions over and over and over and over and over.

There will be some debateable answers. That's fine as long as all opposing opinions are mentioned.

My standard litany is:

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with?
  3. What have you done so far and what happened? If I can pry those details out of people, I'll be thrilled, elated, and possibly less abusive in my replied. I'll add it to the FAQ intro.

Please note that I really don't expect most people to use Google groups to search for previous answers. Most beginners do not have the vocabulary necessary to do a proper search. Many are from foreign countries with limited English abilities.

As mentioned elsewhere, I could use some help adding some content. In particular, the Windoze related troubleshooting issues, where there are others that are more experienced in Windoze than me.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's not quite how a Wiki works. It's basically a free for all. Just go to the FAQ at:

formatting link
formatting link
the help so you know the pseudo HTML works. It's easy. Add content as required or desired. I'll play tech editor for a while.

At this point, the spelling errors and formatting oddities can be tolerated. What it needs right now is content. Dive in, add a small section, ask of feedback if you're not sure, and I'll yell at you if you add something questionable.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Pick a topic you know well, and start writing, correcting, and/or enhancing -- that's how Wiki works -- anyone can join in.

Wiki does the hosting. All we need are good authors.

Reply to
John Navas

Hmmmm. That is a little intimidating actually. I will give it some thought and really do want to help, but don't know that I am the guy to be writing it. Most of my knowledge has been gained by trial and error, and I sometimes get my vocab wrong.

I will read through it when I get a chance and see if there is something I can do, but without a project leader and specific tasks I will have a hard time contributing.

Keep me in mind though. I definately do have the desire to help if something a little more specific comes up.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Case

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.