Questions about repeating neighbor's wireless network in my house

My neighbor has a cable modem, Linksys router, and Linksys WAP11 AP. With his permission, I can access his network with my PCs. However, the signal strength is rather low. I have a Linksys WAP11 and a D-Link DWL-900AP+ that I would like to use to repeat his signal. I was thinking that I could put my WAP11 into client mode and hook up a directional antenna pointed at his house. I could wire my WAP11 client to my DWL-900AP+ set to AP mode on a different channel. Then my PCs would connect to my network instead of his. I would like my PCs to be able to access the internet through my AP, my client, his AP, his router, and his cable modem.

First, is all this possible?

Second, should I set my WAP11 and 900AP to a hard-coded IP address or have them get their IP address automatically? I'm guessing that if I do have to hard-code the addresses, they have to be on my nieghbor's subnet.

Third, the 900AP had a DHPC server. Should I turn that on? Or should my PCs use my neighbor's DHCP server?

Thanks for any help. John

Reply to
John Sevinsky
Loading thread data ...

Yeah it SHOULD work, do a search on google to see if anyone has done anything similiar. From my experience with a bit of tweaking a wireless network card can be made to bridge a wireless + wired network under Windows XP. That's sought of the setup you'll be having, except mine was more complicated because mine was a layer 3 bridge. Using your WAP11 as a bridge should work in the same way as I had mine, except yours will be using an access point which bridges layer 2. If all goes well your computers will be able to directly access your neighbours internet using any computer on either network.

It shouldn't really matter if you use automatic or static ip's. I prefer to make everything static myself.

Memphis

Reply to
Memphis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.