password protected account

I have a laptop with windows xp home edition.

I have a belkin USB adapter.

I can log on with no problem to a free ports.

But I want to log on to a pass word and Key protected port. I have the password and the key. What do I need to do to set up a profile that will allow me to access this port?

Thanks so much for your help.

Reply to
larry d
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
Victor Henry

Hi I went to the above address It has a lot of inforormation but it does not answer my question. What steps do I need to do to add another connection and put in the password and hex key?

Reply to
larry d

If I decode your question correctly, you want to know how to add a 2nd WEP/WPA/WPA2 key. You probably can't do that with your unspecified model wireless router. Most routers have only a single *SHARED* key for everyone to use.

However, you're also talking about a "profile" which is just a mess of saved setting on your client machine. This is a convenience and is not necessary to making a successful connection. I take it your unspecified model Belkin USB adapter can successfully connect to your unspecified model wireless router. Are you having problems connecting with a 2nd wireless client? If so, kindly describe what you're doing and what manner of hardware you're using.

However, your question is also ambiguous. Are you trying to connect a

2nd wireless device to your unspecified wireless router, or are you trying to establish a 2nd connection to some other wireless router with your existing unspecified model Belkin USB adapter?

Also, if you're using WEP encryption, type in the WEP key in Hex, not ASCII.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

-

Hello I will try to be more informative. I am using a belkin usb g 802.11 network adapter in the gateway tablet laptop computer running windows xp home edition with sp2 installed. I am connection with no problem to various public hot spots. I just select the located account that I want to connect to and it works. However I have access to a protected site. I have the pass word and the hex key.(I understand what hexadecimal is). What I want to know is when I try to connect to that protected site what steps do I have to take to do that.

TIA

Reply to
larry d

ahhh - I think the confusing part was your use of the word "port" ? vs hotspot, location, or access point.... "port" usually implies some physical cable connection.

Each WiFi SSID can be configured on XP to specify how you connect to it. That is where you can define & enter the required security information for each protected access point. This is just done once.

Reply to
P.Schuman

Thank you Yes that is what I ment. Thank you.

Reply to
larry d

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.