access wirelessly the desktop from laptop

I have the latest DLink Air Plus router and card. Both work fine and I can access from the laptop wirelessly the internet and my mail anwhere in the house. So far -- great.

Now what do I have to do to see and work from the laptop with the contents of the desktop? Like Quicken, or any other program.

I am using Windows XP with SP #2 successfully installed

Reply to
Ritter197
Loading thread data ...

Easiest option would be to use Windows Remote Desktop Connection option. It would allow you to logon to your desktop computer from your laptop computer, as if you are sitting right in front of your desktop.

Caveat: if you have XP Home edition on your Desktop computer, you are out of luck. You will need XP Professional on the Desktop. You can have XP Pro or Home Edition on your laptop though.

cheers, Tony

Reply to
TV

Try this site for the info you want.

formatting link
If you do uninstall any firewall software as the site suggests, please re-install it after you get your network up and running.

Robert....

Reply to
DLink Guru

I have the PRO version on the desktop and HOME on the laptop.

Now what do I need to do?

Reply to
Ritter197

True. You need XP Pro for the Remote Desktop server, but the client is available (free) for other Windoze mutations: |

formatting link
for the Mac. |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

To open Remote Desktop Connection, click Start, point to Programs or All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Doug has already mentioned about how to start Remote Desktop Connection from your laptop. On your Desktop, you may need to enable Remote Desktop sharing -- can't remember if it is turned on or off by default (my guess is it is turned off by default). If you have Windows firewall enabled, then you will need to change the firewall settings to enable remote desktop connections to be hosted by your desktop.

cheers, Tony

Reply to
TV

you could use VNC which is free

formatting link

Reply to
AnthonyL

On your desktop computer:

- right click on the "My Computer" icon

- select "Properties"

- select "Computer Name" tab. You'll see the "Full Computer Name" -- that's the one you need to use.

Also, make sure that your laptop and your desktop are part of the same workgroup. If they are not, click on the "Change..." button on the same dialog, and enter a workgroup name. By default it would be set to "MSHOME" on both your desktop and laptop -- you can just leave it at that.

cheers, Tony

Reply to
TV

Again, thanks. Slowly, but surely, with all your help I am approaching the finish line.

Reply to
Ritter197

Thanks very much for the information. I shall proceed as you suggest.

Reply to
Ritter197

Jeff and all the others who are trying to help me:

I am progressing rather nicely except when I go to the laptop and I want to access wirelessly the desktop, it asks for the desktop computer name.

I cannot find that name under Search. I tried MSHOME but that apparently is also not correct.

How do I find the name of the computer desktop?

formatting link

Reply to
Ritter197

I got my wireless (laptop and desktop) working and I can get to the Internet and mail wirelessly on the or rather with the Laptop.

But I have a devil of a time to access from the laptop to the desktop and working remotely the desktop as if I was sitting in front of the desktop.

I have dowloaded a VNC (virtual network) and installed it on both computers.

It also put the VNC icon on the desktop of my laptop,but when I click on it asks for the server name.

I have typed "Comcast.net" did not work (even that is my ISP) Tried my full name as it appears when I rightclick on my desktop computer,where it says "owner-mdaeg etc" Does not work.

I have typed my windowsxp user name "Karolus" does not work.

Reply to
Ritter197

This is the error message:

""unable to resolve host by name. The requested name (Ritter197) is inthe database,but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for(11004)""

A most cryptic message to my eyes.

Reply to
Ritter197

This is the error message:

""unable to resolve host by name. The requested name (Ritter197) is inthe database,but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for(11004)""

Reply to
Ritter197

I use the software from

formatting link

Works wired/wireless (Server on the desktop, and client on the laptops.. and Works via lan or dial up when I am away), worked first time and pretty neat, and with others versions of windows too (sister has 98se, works from her house to mine)

It did however cost about $35... wasn't free

Ritter197 wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

First of all Thanks for trying to help.

The IP address of the Desktop is 192.168.0.101 and I CAN ping that address from the laptop.

4 packets sent, 4 packets received. None lost

Strangely though, I see for the first time a second IP address there and it is fe80::20e:abff: etc. I have never seen such thing before on the desktop.

Now the laptop has this address:

192.168.0.100 and I CAN ping it too from the desktop. Same results, 4 packets sent, 4 received, none lost.
Reply to
Ritter197

On WinXP I usually install these as a service

That's good (you are presumably using the VNC viewer)

It wants the name or IP of the machine you have got the VNC server (ie the machine you want to connect to)

What is the IP address of the machine you are running the viewer on and what is the IP address of the machine you are running the VNC server on.

Go to Start->Run and run cmd Enter IPCONFIG that will tell you the IP address From one machine enter PING IP address of the other machine eg ping 10.0.0.1 what do you get? then PING -a IP "address of the other machine"

what do you get?

What happens when you put the IP address in as the name of the server in the VNC viewer?

(I'm not sure about others but I find following the top posted messages confusing and hard to follow - please bottom post quoting relevant parts so the story can be followed. Accordingly please post your answers after each question and not at the top - thanks). Please no flame wars but if the guy wants (my) help I haven't the time to unravel postings.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Yes, I have firewall from XP installed. I am making proghress, I can now access from the laptop the desktop and do things there, like Defrag,Spybot, etc. as if I was sitting in front of the desktop.

I cannot access the laptop yet from the desktop.

Reply to
Ritter197

Well,I downloaded the UltraVNC on both the Server desktop and the Clien Laptop.

I can get from the laptop to the desktop now and can exercise the desktop with installed programs.

BUT _ I can not get from the desktop to the laptop. In this instance I use the ULTRAVNC server and click on that icon I get: "another instance of WINVNC is already running."

If I click on the VNC Viewer from the desktop I get: "local loopback connections are disabled"

So- I get 1/2 of all,but not 100% of this UltraVNC.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
Ritter197

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.