router booster

I have a Netgear WGR614 54 Mbps wireless router for our home network. This is the "new" Rangemax with an advertised "much greater signal strength." Anyway, it works fine with laptops, but for a desktop PC w/ XP and for an IMAC OS-X 10.5 the signal fades and internet connectivity is dropped repeatedly. I moved on desktop to within sight of the router, about 30 feet away, and the signal strength was good enough to maintain constant connectivity.

So, I'm hoping there's a booster out there that can increase signal strength. Would it be an antenna? Would it use the ethernet port?

Thanks much. Dave

Reply to
tbum
Loading thread data ...

Presumably the imac and XP machine have PCI wireless cards somewhere inside their cases. This is probably the problem - the PC one is likely to be at the back of the box, shielded by lots of metal...

You could see if you can get external aerial for either card, or swap to using a USB adapter with a nice long lead. Personally however, I'd give up on wireless for fixed computers, much easier just to lay some cable.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.