Newby Wireless questions.

Can anyone point me to a page or such that could explain what I need and how to make this work. I am not a computer dunce, I can upgrade, install, etc. I can write HTML, but for all that I have in me, I can not understand the Qwest websites Wireless instructions. I don't know if it's me, or their pages are that user unfriendly. I have also tried calling and hung up when the guy told me.. You don't have wireless you have DSL....he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Currenly we have Qwest DSL, runs into the computer through a very old DSL modem (we've had it since the day DSL came to our neighborhood), standard sized phone plug. I am awaiting arrival of my new laptop, which is Wireless ready. I want to know if I can somehow use a router or such and use both of these computers. I am prepared for what I would need to purchase, but even the Qwest guy was so dumb, that he couldn't tell me if one of their newer modems is what I need. Would I have to go wireless with the desktop also? or is there a way to keep it as it is, and go wireless on the laptop? Any help would greatly be appreiciated. Thanks much, Sandi

Reply to
Sandi
Loading thread data ...

It does seem a bit unfair to call someone dumb when you haven't a clue what you're talking about, haven't made any effort to look and just hang up on people when you get confused. I would advise using

formatting link
and looking at the difference between a modem and a router, then looking at what a wireless router is and also why some wireless routers have ADSL modems built in. It must be difficult for a helpline trying to advise a customer who knows it all and will not listen, I often wonder why they need a helpline if they are such experts. You found this newsgroup, so try finding the answers to your own questions or you will probably not get much help from people.

Reply to
Ian C

"Sandi" hath wroth:

How to make what work?

Start over and kindly supply:

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with? (Hardware, model numbers, versions, operating system, etc).

While background info is interesting, it's really not necessary to describe how long you've had DSL, your level of expertise, your recent support calls to Quest, and such. Just describe what you're trying to do, and what you have in the way of equipment and software.

alt.internet.wireless FAQ (work in progress)

formatting link
The basics:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Why are you calling someone dumb when it isn't their responsibility? Quest is your ISP and not responsible for your internal network. It is up to you to either aquire the knowledge to do whatever it is you want or hire someone to do it.

Reply to
George

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:40:16 -0400, George wrote in :

Presumably because if the person was properly qualified then he would have at least had a clue about networking and the ability to point the customer in the right direction, not to mention his own products, even if the provider isn't interesting in providing that service, unlike a number of better providers. Think "full service" or even just "good service" and "proper training".

Not necessarily. That's a very narrow and poor view of commerce. Ask my favorite local coffee house where to find a good grinder or brewer, and you will get both product and dealer recommendations -- they know what they are doing, and are eager to share that knowledge with their customers, even though they're not selling that stuff themselves. It's part of why they are so successful.

Reply to
John Navas

Proper training is defining the scope of the work while on the job. And passing on the wisdom that the last person touching something becomes responsible for it.

I do understand commerce and this is my view specifically regarding situations as described. If an ISP gets involved recommending equipment then there is a pretty good chance they will get stuck supporting it for free. Thats why some ISPs offer "networking" packages for a fee. For some reason people expect that ISPs should do stuff that is not in their scope of work for free.

If a guy in the coffee house suggests checking out the brewers at SmithCo he won't be in the middle.

Reply to
George

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:17:05 -0400, George wrote in :

That's actually how to turn off customers and lose business. Successful businesses do their best to be helpful, regardless of the scope of work; e.g., Wal-Mart, where every store associate wears a "How may I help you?" badge.

Merely steering someone in the right direction isn't going to get the company "stuck." More importantly, this was a case of apparently not even knowing what products the ISP *was* offering: "... he couldn't tell me if one of their newer modems is what I need."

They offer them for a fee to make money. Has nothing to do with basic product knowledge or with being helpful.

We actually just expect them to be knowledgeable and helpful, especially when we are paying customers, but even when we're not.

Nor will the ISP employee that suggests shopping at SmithCo for a wireless router.

Reply to
John Navas

Understand, but Walmart isn't an ISP. Thats why I qualified my position.

Well sure, they should try to obtain revenue for doing it and not subsidize "free" services by charging higher rates. Also providing "free" service ties up the customer support people.

And should expect what we pay for. If I order lunch I don't expect a free dessert unless it happened to be an advertised item.

Maybe you you don't deal with many people. Most would expect support for free because "you recommended I buy this..."

Reply to
George

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:56:55 -0400, George wrote in :

Fair enough, but why should an ISP be different?

And tends to result in more sales, making it worthwhile.

You really don't look for the kind of good marketing and customer service that goes beyond the minimum? My favorite restaurant freely gives out their recipes. My local coffee place often rewards good customers with free refills. Nordstrom sales associates recommend local cleaners and alterations. My local market hands out lots of free samples. My local paint store recommends local painters. Big box electronics stores send customers to Radio Shack for special cables. They all know that kind of good service keeps customers coming, and coming back.

I've run a number of tech and field support operations, and that hasn't been a problem -- our support requests go down overall as a result of good referrals, not up. Those questions and problems don't just go away in the absence of good referrals.

Reply to
John Navas

Because you have a continuous business relationship with them (you pay them a monthly fee) so you can try and "beat them up" claiming you will leave etc.

But what would those sales be? Typically there is only one thing a broadband provider has for sale. Most people probably wouldn't buy 2 connections. Lets say you pay $40/month for residential broadband connectivity. Part of that $40 covers tech support issues for the broadband service. Lets say the broadband provider decides to also support stuff out of their scope. They would need to increase their support staff (it would't be fair to have long wait times for people who are only calling for actual broadband support) and therfore their expenses. This would be a loosing busines proposition.

Reply to
George

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:35:14 -0400, George wrote in :

I really don't see the difference -- both types of companies depend on a continuing relationship/repeat business. If anything, Wal-Mart is more at risk.

Continuing business. Additional services.

Many also offer additional services, either related to broadband, or as part of a communications bundle.

Not in my experience -- greater competence makes the support people more productive, and good referrals tend to decrease (not increase) the ongoing support load.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.