New 2wire at&t DSL install

Try eVariables.com, a venture capitol spin off of eVowels.com funded by "Wheel of Fortune".

Reply to
nevtxjustin
Loading thread data ...

Just stand in the middle of a room. Throw that middle finger at everyone. You will get all the variables you can handle.

Reply to
w_tom

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Ummm.... you're behind the times. Prefixing buzzwords with an "e" went out a few years ago with the dot com bust. Todays high fashion domain names are the same buzzwords, but prefixed with an "i", such as the iPhone and iGoogle. My guess is this fashion will fizzle in about a year, to be replaced by one of 24 remaining alphabetic prefix characters.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

iSee

Reply to
nevtxjustin

That seemed to be a simple reboot, and not a factory reset, even when held during a power cycle.

That is the setting in mine, and wasn't lost with the technician-driven reset that required reentry of the password.

Reply to
dold

Those guides lead to an install CD, which is no longer required. The newer installation is held in the router.

The AT&T online pages aren't current, either. The

formatting link
page doesn't have the 2wire 2701, and the online installation instructions refer to the CDROM.

Reply to
dold

That one bears some resemblance to mine, but either there is a difference in firmware revision, or at&t has selected features. The emulator says Qwest in a few places, some of the screens are different, and I don't find the diagnostics listed in the 2wire User Guide, "Troubleshooting - Resets Page".

The emulator:

2700HG-D Gateway Software: 4.25.19-QT01 Mine is a 2701HG-B, I don't have the software level, but I suspect that QT is Qwest-specific. 52HP-2374-A3A2-22A2-B2LP might be Qwest, or it might be bogus. It doesn't appear on
formatting link
Someone says that is a good Qwest number.
formatting link

The emulator takes you to the page to enter the key, which doesn't happen on my factory reset router.

Reply to
dold

The new 2wire arrived. The EZ-setup was easy, although it just sort of ends at a normal yahoo web page. It doesn't say "tada, you are finished, enjoy surfing this nice yahoo page".

The WiFi signal strength is the same as the Linksys. On the AR-5211/Thinkvantage laptop, they both drop off to the same bar graph percentage at a distance, on the desktop Belkin USB dongle they show roughly the same unnumbered bar graphs for "link quality" and "signal strength".

Reply to
dold

I think it restarts at the end, which lands you on the web browsers default home page.

Did you remember to crank up the tx power in the router somewhat? I think the default is 35-50mw. It can be increased to about 350mw (which is overkill).

Good enough. Don't forget to change the encryption for WEP to WPA-PSK.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I didn't notice the delay of a reboot. Or maybe it ... I don't know. No fanfare though, just sitting at a Yahoo page.

I might even turn it down ;-) It covers the area that we want. No need to send my signal splattering about the countryside.

I'm not sure about that one yet. I want to share the signal. I don't want it to be a problem for anyone.

I had a problem with one desktop/Belkin USB cycling the connection which reminded me of 802.1x malfunctions. No "Authentication" tab in the connection properties, though. I set it in the registry instead, and the connection is stable.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.