Laptop loses internet connection when in standby

I have a brand new Toshiba laptop running Win XP professional.

I use wireless network to access the internet.

When the computer goes into standby (or just the monitor turning off after 30 minutes) I will lose my connection to the internet; this causes programs like AIM to stop functioning even though I want them to remain operational.

I've tried looking for options in XP's control panel as well as Toshiba's own power software.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
coryswinter
Loading thread data ...

On 13 Aug 2006 20:39:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

That's what happens when you go into Standby. If you want AIM to keep functioning, then you have to turn off Standby and Hibernation in your Power profile.

Reply to
John Navas

On a toshiba, you use toshiba utilities (not the control panl), and then go into power management, make the changes and SAVE the changes.. (if you don't, as you see, it doesn't save the changes).... Just turn off the automatic standby after a time internal, same for hibernation... It will still go into standby when you close the lid, but it will not do automagically when the lid is open.. Make sure you set it to 'never' turn off the hard disk.... That's where you get into trouble losing connections...

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:52:18 -0400, "Peter Pan" wrote in :

It can of course also be configured not to go into Standby when the lid is closed, if that's what the OP wants.

That really shouldn't affect connections, just cause a tiny bit of delay when the hard disk has to be restarted.

Reply to
John Navas

had the same problem on my dell d810, cory. my dell has the intel

2200BG mini-card. there were no power options in either the XP or intel controller to keep the the radio on and connected when the LT was in standby or when the lid was closed. but...version 10 of intel's PRO/Wireless DOES have an option to keep the wi-fi card on all the time. i downloaded from intel, installed it and now the connection stays alive during standby.

intel v10 user's manual here:

73, rich, n9dko
Reply to
Rich

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I went into my device manager and took a look at some of the power settings for my Intel wireless card. I found an option which was checked that allowed the OS to turn off the wireless card to save power. I've unchecked that option and hope that this edit will correct the problem I was having.

Thanks aga> On 13 Aug 2006 20:39:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: >

Reply to
coryswinter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.